1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AS Physics Linear Momentum Question

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A lorry of mass 20,000kg is travelling at 20.0m/s towards a car of mass 900kg travelling at 30m/s towards the lorry. What is the magnitude of the total momentum?

2. Relevant equations
    m1u1+m2u2=p1
    Not sure about any others :\

3. The attempt at a solution
    The lorry has a momentum of 400,000Ns in the positive direction and the car has a momentum of 27000Ns in the negative direction but this is before impact. Not sure how to go about this, any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi seiei! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
    That's fine :smile: … what's worrying you about that? :confused:

The total https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=53" is just the sum (400000 - 27000), and it's the same before as after the collision anyway …

momentum (and https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=313")

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Aug 2, 2011 #3
    Re: welcome to pf!

Oh right, I'll remember that for next time :D! Yeah I thought the answer was 373kNs but the text book answer said 427kNs... I was getting kinda confused. Anyways, it's probably just an error in the answers so I'll tell my teacher about that, thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook