Conservation of Momentum of two trolleys

In summary: Thank you very much Orodruin! I haven't seen that equation before - will definitely come in handy!In summary, the problem involves two trolleys, one traveling at 4 metres per second and having a mass of 2kg, and the other traveling at 1 metre per second and having a mass of 4kg. After colliding, they move off together. The question is asking for the total kinetic energy of the trolleys after the collision, with options ranging from 1.3J to 19J. To solve this, it is important to note that momentum is conserved, so the combined momentum after the collision is 12kgms^-1. Using the equation for kinetic energy,
Charles W

Homework Statement

There are two trolleys traveling in the same direction which are about to collide.

Trolley 1 is traveling at 4 metres per second and has a mass of 2kg
The other, Trolley 2, (which is in front) is moving a 1 metre per second and has a mass of 4kg.

After the impact, they move off together

What is the total kinetic energy of the trolleys after the collision:

1. 1.3J
2. 12J
3. 18J
4. 19J

Homework Equations

Linear Momentum (kgms^-1) = Mass (kg) * Velocity (ms^-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I could be approaching it completely the wrong way, but I have tried to work out the momentum of each trolley prior to the collision:

Momentum of Trolley 1 = 2kg * 4 metres per second = 8kgms^-1
Momentum of Trolley 2 = 4kg * 1 metre per second = 4kgms^-1

As I understand it, as momentum is conserved, the combined momentum once they have collided is 12kgms^-1

Any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: I should read all the post better ...
Charles W said:

As I understand it, as momentum is conserved, the combined momentum once they have collided is 12kgms^-1

Correct.

Charles W said:
I could be approaching it completely the wrong way, but I have tried to work out the momentum of each trolley prior to the collision:

So far, so good. Now use that to find the speed after the collision.

Doc Al said:
So far, so good. Now use that to find the speed after the collision.
Thanks! So using the equation I used earlier:
Linear Momentum (kgms^-1) = Mass (kg) * Velocity (ms^-1)

Rearranging this equation, Velocity = Momentum/Mass

Therefore, by my reckoning, velocity = 12/6 = 2 metres per second

Using this, can I then use Kinetic Energy = 1/2mv^2, to give a Kinetic Energy of 12J (option 2)? Is that correct?

Charles W said:
Using this, can I then use Kinetic Energy = 1/2mv^2, to give a Kinetic Energy of 12J (option 2)? Is that correct?

Yes, it is correct. I would like to point out that there is also no need for you to compute the velocity. You could equally well note that, since ##p = mv##, the kinetic energy can also be expressed as ##E_k = p^2/(2m)## (this can also be useful to remember) and you only need to use your computed momentum and the total mass.

Likes Charles W
Orodruin said:
Yes, it is correct. I would like to point out that there is also no need for you to compute the velocity. You could equally well note that, since ##p = mv##, the kinetic energy can also be expressed as ##E_k = p^2/(2m)## (this can also be useful to remember) and you only need to use your computed momentum and the total mass.
Thank you very much Orodruin! I haven't seen that equation before - will definitely come in handy!

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. In other words, the total amount of motion in a system remains the same unless acted upon by an outside force.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Mathematically, it can be expressed as p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The unit for momentum is kg*m/s.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total amount of energy before the collision is equal to the total amount of energy after the collision. In other words, the objects bounce off each other without losing any energy.

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where there is a loss of kinetic energy due to the objects sticking together or deforming upon impact. The total amount of kinetic energy before the collision is greater than the total amount of kinetic energy after the collision.

How does conservation of momentum apply to two trolleys?

In the case of two trolleys, conservation of momentum means that the total momentum of both trolleys before and after a collision will remain the same. This is true for both elastic and inelastic collisions, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This principle can be used to calculate the velocities of the trolleys before and after the collision.