1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of linear & angular momentum head on collision

1. May 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two cars collide head on but offset from each others center of gravity. After the impact the two cars are locked together as one body. Due to the location of the collision point, the impact causes the two locked cars to spin clockwise.
    Car A- traveling west going 10 mph, weighs 3000lb and the radius of gyration for this motion is 3 ft
    Car B- traveling east going 15 mph, weighs 35000lb and the radius of gyration is 2.5 ft

The lateral distance between the center of gravity between the two cars is 1.6 ft and the longitudinal distance is 14 ft.
    Determine the angular velocity of the 2 cars as they start to spin after the collision

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the linear and angular momentum is conserved and that kinetic energy is not. I am not sure how the linear momentum and kinetic energy is converted into the angular momentum because there is no angular momentum to begin with.
    Any help or push in the right direction would help
    3. The attempt at a solution
    2.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Ryan, :welcome:

In PF your attempt at solution doesn't count: it's a picture of the problem statement. And PF rules/guidelines in fact don't allow to help when the poster doesn't show any own work.
    In this case your
    is not correct. There is a perpendicular distance between the two momentum vectors, therefore there is angular momentum !

4. May 5, 2016 #3
    sorry I messed up when I was attaching my work here is what I did so far

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted