Ashcroft and Mermin's chapter 3, difficulties....

• A
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulties
In summary, the difficulties described in Chapter 3 of the Free Electron Model textbook were meant as motivational problems meant to get you interested enough to read the rest of the book, where they are all addressed and solved.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Can any expert tell me have we overcome some/most of the difficulties described in chapter 3 of Ashcroft and Mermin in the Free Electron Model since the textbook was written?

In the cases that we have, what exactly did solve the difficulties described in this chapter?

If you want me I can copy paste the details from the book, in case you don't have a copy.

Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Can any expert tell me have we overcome some/most of the difficulties described in chapter 3 of Ashcroft and Mermin in the Free Electron Model since the textbook was written?

In the cases that we have, what exactly did solve the difficulties described in this chapter?

If you want me I can copy paste the details from the book, in case you don't have a copy.
After the list of problems of the free electron gas picture in Chapter 3 you have the section entitled "Review of basic assumptions" where the authors list the assumptions that produced these problems: that the ions are treated as only maintaining charge neutrality and nothing else (the effects of a lattice and it's dynamics are simply ignored), that the electrons do not interact with one another (this is solved by Fermi liquid theory), and that we assume the relaxation-time approximation is always valid. After this is a list of chapter references, with short explanations, where these problems are solved by a more careful analysis. From my brief look at the list these problems were not meant as gaps in our knowledge at the time the book was written, but as motivational problems meant to get you interested enough to read the rest of the book, where these problems are all addressed and solved. Condensed matter systems are much more than free electron gases after all - if they weren't, condensed matter physics would really be a dead and boring subject, while it is anything but. :) Study on an all shall become clear. ;)

Yes, I kept on reading and noticed what you said that it's a preface of the other chapters.

Nevertheless I would like to know what are the current open problem in Condensed Matter Physics.
I found someone else asking this same question at researchgate:
https://www.researchgate.net/post/Unsolved_problems_in_condensed_matter_physics

if you have more open problems, do tell.

Likes no-ir

1. What is the main concept discussed in Ashcroft and Mermin's chapter 3?

The main concept discussed in chapter 3 of Ashcroft and Mermin's book "Solid State Physics" is the difficulties in understanding the electronic structure of solids.

2. What are some of the major challenges in understanding electronic structure in solids?

Some of the major challenges include the complexity of the interactions between electrons, the large number of electrons present, and the influence of the crystal lattice on the electronic behavior.

3. How does the band theory help in understanding the electronic structure of solids?

The band theory provides a simplified model for understanding the electronic structure of solids by considering the energy levels of electrons in a crystal lattice. It helps explain the properties of conductors, insulators, and semiconductors.

4. What is the role of Bloch's theorem in understanding the electronic structure of solids?

Bloch's theorem states that the wave function of an electron in a crystal can be written as the product of a plane wave and a periodic function. This helps in understanding the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice and their energy levels.

5. How do impurities and defects affect the electronic structure of solids?

Impurities and defects can introduce additional energy levels in the band structure of a solid, affecting its electronic properties. They can also act as scattering centers, influencing the flow of electrons and leading to changes in conductivity and other material properties.