How Do Ashcroft and Mermin Derive the Conversion from Equation 22.6 to 22.9?

• I
  • Thread starter raisins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Phonons
In summary, The conversion from the quadratic term in Eqn. (22.6) to Eqn. (22.9) in Ashcroft and Mermin involves using the Einstein summation convention. This convention allows for the omission of the summation symbol when performing a dot product, and is applied in this case to the vector ##\mathbf{u(R) - u(R')}## and the gradient operator ##\nabla##. The result is a simplified expression that only requires the repeated index to be summed over twice. This notation may seem confusing at first, but it is necessary for dealing with non-Cartesian coordinate systems.
raisins
Hi all,

I'm reading through Chapter 22 of Ashcroft and Mermin and am having difficulty deriving an equation. Could someone please show me (or outline the steps) how Ashcroft and Mermin convert the quadratic term in Eqn. (22.6) to Eqn. (22. 9)? (pictures attached).

ashcroft-mermin-1.png
ashcroft-mermin-2.png

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
That's just Einstein summation convention. If you imagine a vector-like quantity ##\mathbf a = (a_1, a_2, ..., a_n)##, the dot-product with another vector-like quantity is the sum of the product of the i-components, that is ##\sum_i a_ib_i##. With Einstein convention, you just don't write the ##\sum_i## and it is understood that a summation has to be performed for every repeated index like ##a_ib_i##.

In this example the vector ##\mathbf u(R) - \mathbf u(R') = \mathbf a## and ##\nabla = (\frac {\partial }{\partial x_1}, \frac {\partial }{\partial x_2}, ..., \frac {\partial }{\partial x_n}) = \mathbf b##. So, if you use the convention, you would write ##[u_i(R) - u_i(R') ]\frac {\partial} {\partial x_i}##. Of course you have to do it 2 times because it is squared and that is way you get 2 indices and the second derivatives.

Note that if you look up Einstein convention for the dot product you might encounter expressions like ##a_i b^i##. There is a reason to have "upper" and "lower" indices, but it is essential only when you are dealing with a non-cartesian system of coordinates (like in relativity). Here you are fine and don't need to bother.

Likes Spinnor and Haborix
I concur with @dRic2's answer, but I think Ashcroft/Mermin are abusing notation. As far as I can tell, you have to assume that neither of the derivations act on the ##u##'s of the other factor. If you tried to do the calculation in the normal course of index notation you might not get what they do.

The derivatives are partial derivatives. It means they operate only upon the indexed quantity. I do not see the problem.

hutchphd said:
The derivatives are partial derivatives. It means they operate only upon the indexed quantity. I do not see the problem.
Ah, fair enough.

Related to How Do Ashcroft and Mermin Derive the Conversion from Equation 22.6 to 22.9?

1. What is the Ashcroft/Mermin 3D Phonons model?

The Ashcroft/Mermin 3D Phonons model is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of phonons, which are quantized lattice vibrations in a solid material. This model is commonly used in condensed matter physics to understand the thermal and mechanical properties of materials.

2. How does the Ashcroft/Mermin 3D Phonons model differ from other phonon models?

The Ashcroft/Mermin 3D Phonons model takes into account the full three-dimensional nature of phonon vibrations, whereas other models may only consider one or two dimensions. This allows for a more accurate description of phonon behavior in real materials.

3. What are the main assumptions of the Ashcroft/Mermin 3D Phonons model?

The Ashcroft/Mermin 3D Phonons model assumes that the lattice vibrations are harmonic, meaning they follow simple sinusoidal patterns. It also assumes that the lattice is infinite and uniform, and that there are no defects or impurities present.

4. How is the Ashcroft/Mermin 3D Phonons model used in research?

The Ashcroft/Mermin 3D Phonons model is used in research to predict the thermal and mechanical properties of materials, such as thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity. It can also be used to study phase transitions and other phenomena in solids.

5. What are the limitations of the Ashcroft/Mermin 3D Phonons model?

One limitation of the Ashcroft/Mermin 3D Phonons model is that it does not take into account anharmonic effects, which can be important in certain materials. It also assumes a perfect crystal lattice, which may not accurately describe real materials with imperfections.