1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ask for Books recommend to new G.R. learner

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    I really want to learn about G.R. but I don't know how to study. So I hope someone would recommend books to me for the study basic G.R.
    (Do I need to master electromagnetic/static/dynamic, because I am really bad at it)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're really bad at mastering electromagnetics, I don't think you're going to be able to even begin to learn about GR. Why don't you look at some online articles, either on this forum or in wikipedia concerning GR, just to get an idea of what you're up against? Have you learned Special Relativity to the point you can say you have mastered it and you're really good at it?

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should probably give some background info on what you know so that we can recommend the right book for you.

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4
    I had read Griffiths#Introduction To Electrodynamics(3rd Ed.), vector calculus(springer), fundamental of physics(except optics), first 2 chapter of classical mechanics.

6. Dec 14, 2011 #5

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To repeat:

7. Dec 14, 2011 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From another thread:

8. Dec 14, 2011 #7
    I'd go to the library and browse Hartle's book Gravity. You could probably still pick up a lot from it even if your E&M and classical mechanics knowledge is lacking.

9. Dec 14, 2011 #8
    Mastering Griffiths is of fundamental importance. A good into book for GR is the one by Foster & Nightingale. There are good reviews at Amazon.

10. Dec 16, 2011 #9
    thanks for all of you~(my teacher suggest me not to touch G.R., he said because it's mathematical skills in G.R is too complicated, include differential geometry which I haven't learn it before. So, I think I finished those mathematical skills first, before I learn G.R.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook