Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asking a question about eddy currents

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    Hi All,

I am new to this forum. Thanks for viewing my question in advance.
    I have a confusion about the duration of eddy current. All the formulae I found are to calculate the intensity of the current. I am implementing a switch in my experiment which will turn on/off the magnetic field inside a metal vacuum chamber for a few ms, let's sat, on for 8ms and off for 2ms, and I am wondering in this case, the duration of the eddy current will totally depend on the switching time or there is a way to calculate the shortest duration time the eddy current has to take for a single loop the electrons have to run for.

Thanks a lot!
    Di

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you understand how eddy currents operate. They are characterized by a time constant tau that is determined by the geometry of coil and conductor and by the latter's conductivity and permeability. Once you know tau you can decide if it's a problem for your experiment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook