Aspects of math that are often over-formulated on curriculum

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curriculum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
binbagsss
Messages
1,291
Reaction score
12
Hi,

I think sometimes curriculum contains to many formulae.
E.g in calculus why is there a need for the quotient rule when there is the product rule

Does anyone agree?
Any examples for undergrad too anyone can think of?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The quotient rule is a very useful one. I still use it a lot. It's much easier than to derive it from the product rule from scratch. So it's a useful formula to know.
 
micromass said:
The quotient rule is a very useful one. I still use it a lot. It's much easier than to derive it from the product rule from scratch. So it's a useful formula to know.

but you can just put it as to the power of -1?
 
binbagsss said:
but you can just put it as to the power of -1?

Yeah sure, I know you can. I still find it useful as a separate formula so I don't have to do that all the time.