1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assistance needed with vector velocity problem, please

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1
    An asteroid is discovered heading straight toward Earth at 15 km/s. An international team manages to attach a giant rocket engine to the asteroid. The rocket fires for 10 min, after which the asteroid is moving at 28[tex]\circ[/tex] to its original path at a speed of 19 km/s.

Find its average acceleration (ax, ay) in m/s2.

I first began by using the equation a2 = b2 + c2 -2bc(cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]) where b is 15 km/s and c is 19 km/s.

a2 = 225 + 361 - 570(cos28[tex]\circ[/tex])
    a2 = 82.7 km/s
    9.1 km/s m= [tex]\Delta[/tex]v

a= 9.1 / 600 = .0152 km/s2 = 15.2 m/s2

The answer is [tex]r\hat{}[/tex] = (3.0[tex]i\hat{}[/tex] + 15 [tex]j\hat{}[/tex]) m/s2.

I am unsure as to whether or not I have done this correctly because I do not know where to go from here. My professor gave use this hint for this problem:

The asteroid is initially going in the +x direction! From the given initial and final
    velocities, find [tex]\Delta[/tex]vx and [tex]\Delta[/tex] vy. Use ax = [tex]\Delta[/tex]vx/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t and ay = [tex]\Delta[/tex]vy/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi SelHype! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The question asks for (ax, ay).

Your cosine formula only gave you the magnitude, |a| (which was correct :wink:) …

but you won't get the direction without using the sine formula also, which is far too long-winded a method.

There are two ways of dealing with vectors … the good old trigonometry way that the ancient Greeks would have used, and the coordinate method.​

You've used the slow ancient Greek way.

Your professor wants you to use the quicker coordinate way. :wink:

Do what your professor suggested … :smile:
  4. Sep 20, 2008 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Thank you for the welcome!

I should have known I was doing it the long way, haha. I am VERY bad for going the more complicated routes because...well they seem easier...Yeah I'm odd.

But thank you for the help! I finally got it after I looked at it for bout another hour, haha.

Anyways, thanks again!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?