I'm going to cry Need help setting up kinematics problems

• Thread starter linglingpopo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: So, in summary, a car accelerated from rest for 5s, then continued traveling at a constant velocity for 10s, before decelerating at -1m/s2. The car traveled 0.7kms from where it started.
linglingpopo
2) Starting from rest, a car accelerates at 6 m/s2 for 5 s, then continues at a constant velocity for 10 s, then decelerates at -1m/s2.
How fast was it going 0.70 km from where it started?

So, a=6m/s2
t= 5 s
ty= 10s
ay= -1m/s2

.70km converted to m is 700m

Where do I go and did I even set it up right? What equations do I use? I know I'm solving for the initial velocity.

3) A car driving straight off a 10m high cliff lands 20 m away. If the cliff had been 30 m high instead of 10 m, how far away would it have landed?

Looking for displacement on this one

So x= 10m
y= 20 m

Do you use pythagorean theorem or try to find v or what? :(

4) Car A and Car B are traveling at constant velocities in the same direction on the highway. Car A passes Car B at 3:07:00 pm. At 3:08:00 pm Car A starts to decelerate at -1 m/s2. At 3:09:00pm Car B passes Car A.
How much faster was Car A driving than Car B when they first met?

...this one I just don't get. I don't even know how to attempt it

Physics news on Phys.org
You have three periods of time.

0 to 5 seconds, car is accelerating
5 to 15 seconds, car is at constant velocity
15+ seconds, car is decelerating

How fast the car was going when it was 700m away depends on which one of these periods it was in. So that is what you need to work out: in which period does 700m fit?

To determine that, you need to find the distance at 5 seconds and the distance at 15 seconds. Luckily the car doesn't reverse, so you can use those answers to see where 700 fits.

Once you know where 700 fits, you can set about finding the speed.

linglingpopo said:
2) Starting from rest, a car accelerates at 6 m/s2 for 5 s, then continues at a constant velocity for 10 s, then decelerates at -1m/s2.
How fast was it going 0.70 km from where it started?
So, a=6m/s2
t= 5 s
ty= 10s
ay= -1m/s2

.70km converted to m is 700m

Where do I go and did I even set it up right? What equations do I use? I know I'm solving for the initial velocity.
Initial Velocity ? The car starts from rest!

Break-up the car's trip into three parts. (Hopefully it travels more than 700m before coming to rest.)

v0=0 m/s , s0 = 0 m , s is displacement, t0 = 0s
Part 1:
From t=t0 to t=t1
a1 = 6 m/s2, t1 = 5 s
What is the velocity, v, at time t during this segment?
What is the velocity, v1, at time t1 at the end of this segment?
How far does the car travel during this segment? - Use average velocity, and s1 = vavgt1 or use s1=v0t1+(1/2)a1(t1)2
Part 2:
From t=t1 to t=t2, where t2-t1 = 10 s .
a2 = __ m/s2, t2 = __ s
What is the velocity, v, at time t during this segment?
What is the velocity, v2, at time t2 at the end of this segment?
How far does the car travel during this segment?
What is the total displacement at time t2 at the end of this segment?
Part 3:
...​
(I'm a slow typist.)

Last edited:

1. What are kinematics problems?

Kinematics problems involve the study of motion, including the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects.

2. How do I set up a kinematics problem?

To set up a kinematics problem, you first need to identify the variables involved, such as initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations. Then, use the appropriate kinematics equations to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the importance of kinematics in science?

Kinematics is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects. It is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, to analyze and describe the movement of objects.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes when solving kinematics problems include using incorrect kinematics equations, not considering the direction of motion, and not properly labeling and organizing the given information.

5. Can you provide an example of a kinematics problem?

Sure, here's an example: A car is traveling on a straight road at a constant velocity of 50 km/h. After 10 seconds, the car accelerates at a rate of 5 m/s² for 5 seconds. What is the final velocity of the car?

First, we need to identify the variables: initial velocity (50 km/h), final velocity (unknown), acceleration (5 m/s²), and time (5 seconds).

Using the kinematics equation vf = vi + at, we can solve for the final velocity:

vf = 50 km/h + (5 m/s²)(5 s) = 50 km/h + 25 m/s = 56.5 km/h

Therefore, the final velocity of the car is 56.5 km/h.