I'm stuck and need assistance(velocity/acceleration vector problem)

In summary, the problem involves a car traveling north at 35 m/s, braking and turning to avoid an obstacle, and then traveling northeast at 20 m/s after 3 seconds. The goal is to find the average acceleration during the period of braking and turning. The definition of acceleration is the "rate of change in velocity," and the change in velocity can be found by drawing vector arrows or using algebra to calculate the change in velocity in the x and y directions.
tomdadude

Homework Statement

A car initially traveling north at 35 m/s, brakes and turns to avoid an obstacle so
that 3 seconds later it is traveling northeast at 20 m/s. Find its average accelera-
tion during the period of braking and turning.

Homework Equations

acceleration=change in velocity/time taken(thank you Chi Meson)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the vector components of the 20m/s vector and got Vx as 10m/s and Vy as 10 root 3 m/s.
I don't thinks it's as simple as 15m/s divided by 3s.Any help would be very appreciated.I don't know where to go from here.

I'm new here and I'd like to say hello to every member.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of acceleration is the "rate of change in velocity." (or "change in velocity" / time). Not the "average velocity/time."

Try this graphically: draw vector arrows for these velocities with their bases together. The change in velocity is the ve3ctor arrow that goes from the tip of the initial velocity to the tip of the final velocity. You can use simple trig to calculate it.

Furthermore: how did you get different x and y components for a vector pointing at 45 degrees?

Last edited:
It has changed by 15m/s.Sorry about that I'm getting all mixed up.I heard that I have to get the vector components of the acceleration so I need help there really.

tomdadude said:
It has changed by 15m/s.Sorry about that I'm getting all mixed up.I heard that I have to get the vector components of the acceleration so I need help there really.

No, it has not changed by 15 m/s, even though it looks like it from a strictly 1-D mathematical viewpoint. The magnitude of the change in velocity is (believe it or not) more than 20 m/s.

Did you draw the arrows I suggested?

Or strictly with algebra: what is the change in velocity in the x-direction? [tex]\Delta v_x[/tex]
what is the change in velocity in the y direction? [tex]\Delta v_y[/tex]

1. What is a velocity vector problem?

A velocity vector problem is a type of problem in physics or mechanics that involves determining the speed and direction of an object's motion at a given time. It is usually represented graphically as an arrow pointing in the direction of motion with a length proportional to the speed of the object.

2. How do I solve a velocity vector problem?

The first step in solving a velocity vector problem is to identify and define the given variables, including the initial velocity, final velocity, and time interval. Then, you can use the formulas for average velocity and acceleration to calculate the values needed. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visually represent the problem.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration vectors?

A velocity vector represents the speed and direction of an object's motion, while an acceleration vector represents the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, velocity is the object's speed and direction at a specific moment, while acceleration is the change in velocity over time.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving velocity vector problems?

One common mistake is mixing up the direction and magnitude of the velocity vector. It is important to pay attention to both components when drawing and interpreting the vector. Another mistake is forgetting to convert units, which can lead to incorrect calculations. It is also important to double check the given values and equations to ensure they are relevant to the problem.

5. How can I apply velocity and acceleration vector concepts in real life?

Velocity and acceleration vectors have many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in sports, driving, and engineering. For example, understanding the velocity and acceleration of a moving car can help us make safe and efficient driving decisions. In engineering, these concepts are used to design and analyze the motion of objects, such as airplanes or roller coasters.