1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assistance with physics vector problem

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give the components of the velocity vector for wind blowing at 12 km/hr toward the southeast

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

12cos(45)i - 12sin(45)j

Isn't this right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2
    Re: vectors

Two observations.
    It's not clear what i and j represent. Sure, I'm about 99% certain I know what you mean, but I shouldn't have to guess.
    If you break a velocity into its components, are those components also velocities?
  4. Jan 20, 2009 #3

i is the vector direction that represents the x axis and y is the vector direction that represents the y axis.

and yes those components are also velocities
  5. Jan 20, 2009 #4

Yes, I was sure you mean those directions, but it is not universally understood that i
    means east. And, the components shown in your answer are not velocities.
  6. Jan 20, 2009 #5

so if it's not velocities then what is it? and how do I represent it in velocities?
  7. Jan 20, 2009 #6

OK, we agree the components of a velocity should also be velocities. Your original velocity is a vector. Look at your components and ask whether they satisfy the requirements of a velocity vector.
  8. Jan 20, 2009 #7

i still dont see it why its not a velocity vector
  9. Jan 20, 2009 #8
  10. Jan 21, 2009 #9

We have the magnitude and the direction of a 2D vector (who cares if it happens to represent velocity?), and we want to resolve it into its x and y components. Equi has done this; what's up, TVP?
  11. Jan 21, 2009 #10

Not to be too pedantic about this, but 8.48 east is not a velocity. The magnitude of such a velocity will always consist of a number (8.48) and a unit (km/hr). While you can set up a situation where the unit is either implied or else not needed, this is not the case here. The statement of question asks about a wind blowing to the SE and, in this instance, velocity has a real physical meaning as a ratio of distance to time and that requires a unit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?