Assuming theorems/results in exams

• Thread starter Ted123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary, the question asks for a proof of the theorem which states that the central element of a lie algebra is the zero matrix, but the question also asks for a proof of the theorem that states that so(3) is simple, which implies that the derived lie algebra of so(3) is just itself.
Ted123
In general would you say it is OK to assume theorems/results etc. in exams without proof?

For example if I was asked to prove that the only central element of a lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] was the zero matrix and I had a theorem that said that the centre of [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] is trivial if [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] is simple, could I prove [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] is simple and then just state that [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] being simple [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] centre of [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] is 0 i.e. zero matrix is the only central element, or would I have to prove the theorem to get the credit?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really would depend. e.g. if you learned the theorem in class, it would almost certainly be okay, unless the problem explicitly stated otherwise.

If you got the theorem from a different source, though, it would depend on the intent of the exam question, and how different the problem's intent is from the actual work you would do to invoke the theorem, and even then it would depend to some extent on the professor's tastes.

And, of course, you have the option to do the problem both ways. :smile:In real life, of course, it is usually right to do that. Researching facts to apply to the problems you're trying to solve is an important mathematical skill!

Hurkyl said:
It really would depend. e.g. if you learned the theorem in class, it would almost certainly be okay, unless the problem explicitly stated otherwise.

If you got the theorem from a different source, though, it would depend on the intent of the exam question, and how different the problem's intent is from the actual work you would do to invoke the theorem, and even then it would depend to some extent on the professor's tastes.

And, of course, you have the option to do the problem both ways. :smile:

In real life, of course, it is usually right to do that. Researching facts to apply to the problems you're trying to solve is an important mathematical skill!

OK, thanks for that. :smile:

Thing is, I've come across a question with 2 parts. The first is to describe the derived lie algebra of so(3) explictly, the 3x3 antisymmetric matrices and the second part is to prove that the only central element of so(3) is the zero matrix and I could prove both parts using one theorem: by proving so(3) is simple implies the derived lie algebra of is just itself and also proves that the centre of so(3) is trivial!

1. What does it mean to "assume" a theorem or result in an exam?

Assuming a theorem or result in an exam means that the statement is taken to be true without providing a formal proof. This is often done in order to focus on other concepts or to save time during the exam.

2. Are we allowed to assume any theorem or result in an exam?

This depends on the specific instructions given by the exam. In some cases, certain theorems or results may be explicitly stated as being allowed to assume, while in others, students may be expected to provide a proof for all statements used in their answers.

3. Is assuming a theorem or result the same as proving it?

No, assuming a theorem or result is not the same as proving it. When assuming a statement, we are essentially taking it to be true without providing a formal proof. However, in order to prove a statement, we must provide logical reasoning and evidence to support its truth.

4. Can assuming a theorem or result lead to incorrect answers?

Yes, assuming a theorem or result can potentially lead to incorrect answers if the statement is not actually true. It is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and to use reliable sources when selecting which statements to assume in an exam.

5. How can I effectively use assuming theorems/results in an exam?

Assuming theorems or results can be a useful strategy in an exam if used correctly. It can save time and allow you to focus on other concepts. However, it is important to use this strategy wisely and to only assume statements that you are confident are true. It is also a good idea to clearly state which theorems or results you are assuming in your answer.