I agree with what Demystifier said before that it's interesting to see all the views meet. Just as it's easy to loose the numerical grip with too much philosophy, I find it's just easy to also loose the conceptual perspective and in axiomatic systems, unless the choice of axioms are extremely well founded/chosen.
One question for those who seem to represent the axiomatic road here!
The idea, to look for a theory for rational quantiative reasoning incomplete information (a "probability theory" in a very historical informal sense), in a "optimal way", is extremely symphatetic to me. But one issue I have with most of these schemes I haves seen published is that it strikes me that its still not an optimal intrisic theory of inference. As far as I can judge (which may not mean much of cours) all points towards that QM is TOO optimal. Ie. any real agent, can not represent degrees of belief with infinite precision. QM comes out as an theory of inference that is valid for when an agent with not storage or capacity constraints, are to make an "optimal inference" about a finite system.
This may seem like a practical matter, but only until you consider two such agents interacting, then exactly how "optimal" they infere, should affect their interactions.
When gravity enters the picture, and we are questioning the explanation of the hamiltonians as well, it seems that what we need, or not to axiomatise QM? Because QM may need revision anyway? What does this suggest about the axiomatic program?
I'm curious to here what the experts from that field would think about this. I have yet to find much food in the papers I have seen. But then it's a full time job to read all papers. And even worse when you have a regular job on the side. I wish I had more time to digest papers!
Kolmo said:
The original point was that quantum theory is a probability theory.
But is it the right (intrinsic) probability thery we need to make progress into QG and unification? What I am suggesting is what is an "optimal inference" also depends nthe constraints on the agent?
/Fredrik