1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asteroids and their total energy

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    http://s9.postimg.org/vejo37agv/physics.jpg [Broken] for picture

Asteroids X, Y, Z have equal mass (6kg each). They orbit around a planet with M=6×1024kg. The orbits are in the plane of the paper and are drawn to scale.

TE, KE and PE represent Total, Kinetic and Potential energies.
    Select G-Greater than, L-Less than, or E-Equal to. (If the first is G and the rest L, enter GLLLLLL).

A) The KE of Y at 7 is .... its value at 5.
    B) The speed of X at 6 is .... it is at 5.
    C) The PE of X at 5 is .... the PE of Y at 5.
    D) The PE of X at 5 is .... the PE of Y at 7.
    E) The TE of Z is .... the TE of X.
    F) The TE of Y is .... the TE of Z.
    G) The PE of X at 5 is .... its value at 3.

Hello, guys I've attempted this many times. My most certain answer is ELEELGl. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I am pressure sure A B C D G are correct. But i am not sure about E and F. I've tried ELEEGLl and ELEEEEl also. Those don't work either.

The unit is on conservation of energy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How is the total energy related to: 1. the length of the semi-major axis of the elliptical orbit or 2. the radius of a circular orbit? Is the semi-major axis of Z greater or less than the radius of Y? You may have to measure this to find out.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted