Using potential energy graph, find particle turning point

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy and position for a particle using the equations Emec - PE = KE and KE = .5(.25)(225). The individual is unsure about finding the position where energy is equal to Emec and turning the particle around. It is suggested to use the graph for this purpose. The individual also mentions being overwhelmed with final exams and physics assignments.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

help1.PNG

Homework Equations

Emec - PE = KE

The Attempt at a Solution

When particle starts at x = 4 KE = .5(.25)(225) = 28.125
Energy of system = 28.125
I don't have anything with position here so i am unsure how to find what position that the energy will be equal to the Emec and turn the particle around

Attachments

• help1.PNG
    help1.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,247
Physics news on Phys.org
I think i need to use force here and force is dPE(X)/dx

isukatphysics69 said:
KE = .5(.25)(225)
Check the mass.
isukatphysics69 said:
how to find what position that the energy will be equal to the Emec
That's what the graph is for.

Likes isukatphysics69
yes i solved it i should have marked solved i am not careful i am overwhelmed i have final exam Tuesday and a million physics homeworks and presentations and stuff omg

1. What is a potential energy graph?

A potential energy graph is a visual representation of how the potential energy of a particle changes with its position.

2. How do you use a potential energy graph to find a particle's turning point?

To find a particle's turning point, you must first locate the point on the graph where the potential energy is at its highest or lowest value. This point is known as the particle's maximum or minimum potential energy, respectively. The turning point is located at the position where the slope of the graph changes from positive to negative or vice versa.

3. What does the turning point represent in a potential energy graph?

The turning point represents the position where the particle's potential energy is changing from increasing to decreasing, or vice versa. This is also known as the equilibrium point, where the forces acting on the particle are balanced.

4. How can you determine the direction of motion at the turning point?

The direction of motion at the turning point can be determined by looking at the slope of the graph at that point. If the slope is positive, the particle is moving towards the turning point, and if the slope is negative, the particle is moving away from the turning point.

5. Can a potential energy graph have multiple turning points?

Yes, a potential energy graph can have multiple turning points if the particle has multiple positions where its potential energy is at a maximum or minimum value. These turning points can occur at different positions along the graph depending on the shape and complexity of the potential energy function.