Astrophysics - Accretion of Space Dust

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a planetesimal sweeping up dust particles from a dust cloud. The number of collisions per second between the planetesimal and dust particles is given by the formula \xi = \pi R^2 v n. The rate of change of the planetesimal's mass and radius can be expressed as \frac{dM}{dt} = M_{d} \cdot \xi and \frac{dR}{dt}=\frac{M_{d} v n}{4\rho} respectively, assuming all collisions result in the dust particles sticking to the planetesimal. To determine the time required for the planetesimal to grow to a specific radius R1, one can simply use the equation \frac{
Granite

Homework Statement

Imagine a planetesimal sweeping up small particles from a dust cloud. Suppose the planetesimal, of mass M and radius R, is moving through the cloud at a velocity v. There are nd dust particles per m3, each of mass md

(a) Derive an expression for the number of collisions per second between the planetesimal and dust particles (ignore the gravity of the planetesimal).

(b) If all collisions result in the dust particles sticking to the planetesimal, derive an expression for the rate of change dM/dt of the mass of the planetesimal, and for the rate of change of the radius, dR/dt. Assume the planetesimal has constant density pp.

(c) Assume that the planetesimal does not affect the dust cloud significantly, nor change its speed relative to the dust, so that v and nd stay constant. Derive an expression for the time t required for the planetesimal to grow from a very small size to a particular radius R1.

(d) Part (d) merely encompasses calculations that rely on derivations from parts a-c.

Homework Equations

The formula for accretion

[tex] \tau = \frac{1}{\pi R^2 v n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay. So, for the first part, I figured that the number of collisions per second is just the inverse of [tex]\tau[/tex] from above, since one is the number of seconds/collision (or between them), the inverse must simply be the number of collisions per second.

So, we'll say that for part (a), I suspect the solution is:
[tex]\xi = \pi R^2 v n[/tex]

For part (b), I established that the mass of the moving body, at any point, is the sum of the mass of the original planetesimal summed with the mass of the accumulated dust.

[tex]M_{total} = M_{planetesimal} + M_{dust}[/tex]

Take the derivative with respect to time, and you get

[tex]\frac{dM}{dt} = M_{d} \cdot \xi [/tex]

Because the total mass increases specifically with the mass from the collisions of particles.

Similarly, I used the equation for density and solved that

[tex]\frac{dM}{dt} = 4 \rho \pi R^2 \frac{dR}{dt} [/tex]

However, I'm not 100% sure that this is correct, nor do I have any clue how to approach (c). I thought it had something to do with integrating, but I cannot figure out how to set up the integral, or what my integrand should even be.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\frac{dM}{dt} = 4 \rho \pi R^2 \frac{dR}{dt}
[/tex]

That seems to be right. Now you can equate it to the other dM/dt equation:
[tex]
4 \rho \pi R^2 \frac{dR}{dt}=M_{d}\pi R^2 v n
[/tex]

So,

[tex]\frac{dR}{dt}=\frac{M_{d} v n}{4\rho}
[/tex]

Okay. So, for part (c), I thought of integrating the change in radius function with respect to time, which can then be rearranged to a function that tells you time for a specific radius (treated it as integration of a constant). Can anyone tell me if this logic is flawed?

It isn't flawed, but it's overly complicated. Examine the equation
[tex]
\frac{dR}{dt}=\frac{M_{d} v n}{4\rho}
[/tex]

Notice that R isn't part of the equation, and that everything in the equation is constant. Once you realize the significance of dR/dt being a constant, part (c) is extremely trivial.

1. What is space dust and how does it relate to astrophysics?

Space dust, also known as interstellar dust, is a collection of small particles found in the space between stars. These particles are composed of various elements, such as carbon, oxygen, and silicon, and are the remnants of stars that have exploded. Studying space dust can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies.

2. How does space dust accrete, or accumulate, in the universe?

Space dust accretion occurs when the particles are drawn together by gravity, forming larger and larger clumps. This process can happen in a variety of ways, such as through collisions between dust particles, or through the gravitational pull of a larger object, such as a planet or star. Over time, these larger clumps of dust can continue to grow and eventually form planets, moons, and other celestial bodies.

3. How does the accretion of space dust contribute to the formation of planetary systems?

As space dust accumulates and forms larger clumps, the increased mass and gravitational pull can begin to form protoplanets, or embryonic planets. These protoplanets continue to grow as they accrete more space dust and other materials, eventually becoming fully-formed planets. Without the accretion of space dust, it is unlikely that planets and other celestial bodies would be able to form.

4. What role does accretion of space dust play in the evolution of galaxies?

Accretion of space dust is a crucial process in the evolution of galaxies. As stars form and die, they release space dust into the interstellar medium, which can then be accreted by other stars or form new stars. This process of dust recycling helps to regulate the rate of star formation in galaxies, and also contributes to the chemical composition of galaxies over time.

5. How do scientists study the accretion of space dust in the universe?

There are several methods that scientists use to study the accretion of space dust. One method is through observations using telescopes, which can detect the infrared emissions from warm dust particles. Another method is through computer simulations, which can model the dynamics of dust particles in different environments. Scientists also study the chemical composition of space dust through spectroscopy, which can reveal information about the elements present in the particles.