Planetesimal Accretion Time Estimation

• Thread starter spinnaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accretion
In summary: R is t = (4R/V)/(ρP/ρN) where ρP=the density of the planetesimal itself. (Assume that ρN and V stay constant as particles are swept up.)
spinnaker
Kinda stumped. The question gives three equations and I don't know what to do with them, because given the equations there's always more than one unknown. Any assistance/tips would be appreciated!

If a planetesimal has a cross-sectional area of πR2 (where R is the planetesimal's radius) and is sweeping through a cloud of smaller particles of fixed size with a velocity V, the number of collisions per second will be:

dn/dt = (πR2N)/m

where ρN=the space density (kg/m3) of particles in the cloud and m=the mass of each particle.

If each collision results in the target particles sticking to the planetesimal, the planetesimal will gain mass at a rate of

dM/dt = πR2N

where M=the planetesimal mass.

The time to grow to radius R is

t = (4R/V)/(ρPN)

where ρP=the density of the planetesimal itself. (Assume that ρN and V stay constant as particles are swept up.)

Assuming that a reasonable value for the density of accretable material in inner part of the early solar nebula is ρN = 10-7 kg/m3, estimate the time to accrete a body of 1,000 km radius. Assume a reasonable ρP.

Physics news on Phys.org
First a clarification: Are the ##P## and ##N## in ##\rho P## and ##\rho N## supposed to be subscripts? If not, what do they mean?

Next, you have to make an attempt at solving the problem before people are allowed to help.

tms said:
First a clarification: Are the ##P## and ##N## in ##\rho P## and ##\rho N## supposed to be subscripts? If not, what do they mean?

Next, you have to make an attempt at solving the problem before people are allowed to help.

Yes, the P and N are subscripts. ##\rho P## is the density of the planetesimal and ##\rho N## is the density of the nebula.

I have tried to come up with something:

I took the velocity of a circular orbit -- root(GM/r) -- and put in rho(nebula) x 4/3 pi R^3 for the mass.. I get a velocity of 4.838e-6 (which doesn't make any sense).

plugging that into the first equation I get 130 billion years... which obviously isn't right.

The planetesimal, while traveling with speed v, sweeps a cylinder of cross sectional area equal to A=πR2. In dt time the high of the cylinder is vdt, and the planetesimal collides with every particle inside the cylinder.

ehild

Attachments

• planetesimal.JPG
    planetesimal.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 428
spinnaker said:
Yes, the P and N are subscripts. ##\rho P## is the density of the planetesimal and ##\rho N## is the density of the nebula.
In LaTeX you can use an underscore ('_') to indicate a subscript, thusly: ##\rho_N##, or if there is more than one character in the subscript, enclose them in curly braces: ##V_{out}##. Superscripts are done similarly, using the caret ('^').

I have tried to come up with something:

I took the velocity of a circular orbit -- root(GM/r) -- and put in rho(nebula) x 4/3 pi R^3 for the mass.. I get a velocity of 4.838e-6 (which doesn't make any sense).

plugging that into the first equation I get 130 billion years... which obviously isn't right.
Yes, 10 times the life of the universe is probably not the right answer.

The first thing to realize is that the size of the body will change, so you can't use a fixed radius. As the size increases, so will the rate of accretion. Circular orbits, or any other kind of orbit, has nothing to do with it.

ehild said:
The planetesimal, while traveling with speed v, sweeps a cylinder of cross sectional area equal to A=πR2. In dt time the high of the cylinder is vdt, and the planetesimal collides with every particle inside the cylinder.

ehild

So from that I would take that the number of collisions per second per unit volume would be something like

dn/dt = πR2vn

would it not?

tms said:
In LaTeX you can use an underscore ('_') to indicate a subscript, thusly: ##\rho_N##, or if there is more than one character in the subscript, enclose them in curly braces: ##V_{out}##. Superscripts are done similarly, using the caret ('^').

Yes, 10 times the life of the universe is probably not the right answer.

The first thing to realize is that the size of the body will change, so you can't use a fixed radius. As the size increases, so will the rate of accretion. Circular orbits, or any other kind of orbit, has nothing to do with it.

So what I did was I took one of the givens:

dM/dt = πR2N (EQ 1)

and I took the equation for mass (which I differentiated):

M = ρ (4/3) πR3
dM/dt = 4πρR2 dR/dt (EQ 2)

Equated EQ 1 and EQ 2 to get

dR/dt = vρN/4ρP

which is a constant. And that's where I got lost.

ehild said:
While growing, the planetesimal will decelerate, as momentum is conserved.

ehild

But where do I get a velocity? That's where I'm completely stumped. There's no real body for an orbital velocity, so I don't know where to get v for m1v1 = m2v2...

R is the radius of the body and it travels with velocity V. I've just noticed that V is assumed constant in the OP. I deleted my previous post, you do not need to use conservation of momentum. But it is strange, ignoring the change of velocity.

It does not matter along what orbit the planetesimal travels.

ehild

Last edited:
spinnaker said:
So what I did was I took one of the givens:

dM/dt = πR2N (EQ 1)

and I took the equation for mass (which I differentiated):

M = ρ (4/3) πR3
dM/dt = 4πρR2 dR/dt (EQ 2)

Equated EQ 1 and EQ 2 to get

dR/dt = vρN/4ρP

which is a constant. And that's where I got lost.

So what time is needed to grow the radius of the planetesimal from zero to R?

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
So what time is needed to grow the radius of the planetesimal from zero to R?

ehild

I think I got it.

I integrated both sides and got

t = 4Rρ/vρN

For a 1000km in diameter (R = 5.0e5 m) planetesimal, using the given ρN=1.0e-7 and ρP=3.5 kg/m3 (typical chondrite density), all I needed was v.

Conservation of Energy dicates that the velocity of the impacts cannot greatly exceed the escape velocity, so I calculate Vesc, which is 22.11m/s.

Plugging those values into the integrated formula, I get t = 1e5 years with 100% efficiency, and 1e7 years with 1% efficiency (since t and R are linearly related).

Does that make sense?

Yes, it does.

Likes 1 person
tms said:
Yes, it does.

Perfect. Thanks all, much appreciated.

Related to Planetesimal Accretion Time Estimation

What is planetesimal accretion?

Planetesimal accretion is a process by which small particles in a protoplanetary disk collide and stick together, gradually forming larger and larger bodies known as planetesimals. This is a key step in the formation of planets in our solar system and other planetary systems.

How does planetesimal accretion work?

Planetesimal accretion occurs as particles in a protoplanetary disk collide and stick together due to their mutual gravitational attraction. Over time, these particles grow in size and eventually become planetesimals, which can then continue to grow into larger bodies through additional collisions.

What is the significance of planetesimal accretion in planetary formation?

Planetesimal accretion is a crucial step in the formation of planets. Without this process, the small particles in a protoplanetary disk would not be able to grow into larger bodies, and thus planets would not be able to form.

What factors influence planetesimal accretion?

The rate of planetesimal accretion is influenced by several factors, including the size and composition of the particles in the protoplanetary disk, the density and temperature of the disk, and the speed and frequency of collisions between particles.

How is planetesimal accretion studied?

Scientists study planetesimal accretion through computer simulations and laboratory experiments, as well as through observations of protoplanetary disks and young planetary systems. These methods allow scientists to better understand the physical processes that drive planetesimal accretion and the factors that can affect its outcome.