Asymmetry parameter while relating proper time with distance

If you compare the proper time to the proper length of the path of a second observer, you're right. But you have to calculate the proper time along the whole path of the second observer with the proper time of the first observer. And then the proper time of the second observer is dilated.
Damodar Rajbhandari
In special relativity, we know, (proper time)^{2} = - (proper distance)^{2}. But, in Causal Dynamical Triangulations (CDT), they introduce an asymmetry parameter \alpha as, (proper time)^{2} = - \alpha (proper distance)^{2}

[Q. 1] Can you please explain me about, why we need to introduce \alpha ? And, Is there is any useful resources to learn more about the role of \alpha in Quantum Gravity? Or, Any derivation relating to asymmetry parameter with proper time and proper distance?

[Q. 2] In most of the research in CDT, why they prefer to choose \alpha to be 1? Concrete reason needed!

[Q. 3] Does CDT prefer Time-reversal symmetry?

With thanks,
Damodar

P.S: This question was primarily asked in https://www.researchgate.net/post/Question_relating_to_Quantum_asymmetry_between_proper_distance_and_proper_time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Damodar Rajbhandari said:
In special relativity, we know, (proper time)^{2} = - (proper distance)^{2}.
I hope I'm not disappointing you, but if you mean by "proper distance" the spacetime interval, then this is not true in general. It is only true if the proper time is that of an inertial observer. The Euclidean analog is that the length of a path between two points equals the distance if the path is straight.

haushofer said:
I hope I'm not disappointing you, but if you mean by "proper distance" the spacetime interval, then this is not true in general. It is only true if the proper time is that of an inertial observer. The Euclidean analog is that the length of a path between two points equals the distance if the path is straight.
I hope I'm not disappointing you, but proper time is equal to (minus) proper distance along any time-like curve ##C##, i.e.
$$\int_C d\tau =-\int_C ds $$
not only along trajectory of an inertial observer. Indeed, many people tried to explain that to you in another thread, but you still seem not to get it.

Anyway, it doesn't help to answer the OP's question.

Last edited:
Yes, I wrote that post right before I started my topic on grav.time dilation. Infinitesimally, as you write it down, you're right of course.

Likes Demystifier

1. What is the asymmetry parameter in the context of proper time and distance?

The asymmetry parameter is a value used to quantify the difference between the proper time and distance in a given space-time geometry. It represents the degree of asymmetry between the two quantities, with a higher value indicating a greater difference.

2. How is the asymmetry parameter calculated?

The asymmetry parameter is typically calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the curvature of space-time and the relative velocity of an object. These equations can vary depending on the specific space-time geometry being studied.

3. What is the significance of the asymmetry parameter?

The asymmetry parameter is important in understanding the relationship between proper time and distance in different space-time geometries. It can provide insights into the nature of gravity and the behavior of objects moving through space-time.

4. Can the asymmetry parameter be negative?

Yes, the asymmetry parameter can be negative. This indicates that the proper time and distance are not only different, but they are also in opposite directions. This can occur in highly curved space-time geometries or in situations where an object is moving at near-light speeds.

5. How does the asymmetry parameter affect our understanding of the universe?

The asymmetry parameter plays a crucial role in theories of general relativity and our understanding of the structure of the universe. It helps us to better understand the effects of gravity on the movement of objects and the behavior of space-time on a larger scale.