Problems between Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity

In summary, there are multiple issues with reconciling general relativity and quantum mechanics. Some approaches, such as string theory, are not background independent, meaning they cannot fully address the issue. Other attempts, such as quantizing GR, have problems with renormalization and treating fundamental particles as point masses leading to singularities. Possible solutions include modifying the Standard Model to give particles spatial extent or modifying GR to remove singularities, such as using a graviton formulation. However, there is currently no definitive solution to this problem.
PabloAMC
I have read several times that general relativity has some problems with quantum mechanics and they are not compatible. However, special relativity can be introduced in quantum mechanics mainly by Dirac equations (so I am pretty sure that the problem of passing from a frame where the parameter is time to one where the parameter is the proper time τ, and spacetime is 4 dimensional should not be a problem. I have had two degree subjects in quantum mechanics and one in general relativity. In this last one it was stated that in order to change from special relativity to general relativity no curvature terms should be added, but we should change the partial derivatives, by covariant derivatives (using Christoffel symbols).
So, taking all into account, does anyone know any mathematically expressed explanation of where is this problem? (It sounds to me something about renormalization, but I cannot say)
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost all of the machinery of quantum field theory is based on a flat space-time. This can be taken over to curved space-time "background" but doesn't lead to a quantum theory of gravity. A true theory is expected to be background independent. I think no one knows how to do this. Attempts based on a weak or linearized theory have issues with too many (an infinite number) of renormalization constants. I'm kind of a fossil in this regard and haven't kept up with the literature so things may be different now.

Paul Colby said:
A true theory is expected to be background independent.
Thanks a lot. However, unless I am wrong, I think that one of the main approaches (string theory) is not background independent

Last edited:
With like 10^27 (not an accurate number and based on hearsay) different vacuum states it's unlikely they can really make the claim of background independence. I have a real hard time referring to string theory as a theory.

PabloAMC said:
Thanks a lot. However, unless I am wrong, I think that one of the main approaches (string theory) is not background independent
Its current formulation isn't. But that doesn't kill a theory. E.g., Fierz-Pauli theory is also background dependent, but you can iterate it to GR, which is background independent.

The problem is indeed that if you regard GR as a field theory and quantize it, it is not renormalizable. This means it can only be trusted up to a certain energy scale, and hence is 'only' effective. But there are other problems in the quantization of GR. E.g., Zee's book on GR treats them somewhere at the end of the book.

haushofer said:
The problem is indeed that if you regard GR as a field theory and quantize it, it is not renormalizable.
Do you know where I can find a text describing that?
haushofer said:
But there are other problems in the quantization of GR. E.g., Zee's book on GR treats them somewhere at the end of the book.
The book you are referring to is Einstein Gravity in a nutshell, isn't it?

Yes. That book, and zee's qft book, are good resources.

Thanks a lot. I'll take a look

While on the topic, It may be useful to look into Relational Mechanics as well. See Relational Mechanics and Implementation of Mach’s Principle with Weber’s Gravitational Force by Andre Koch Torres Assis

Another way that the Standard Model and general relativity are not compatible is that the Standard Model treats all of its fundamental particles as point masses which create black hole singularities in GR.

Likes kodama
ohwilleke said:
Another way that the Standard Model and general relativity are not compatible is that the Standard Model treats all of its fundamental particles as point masses which create black hole singularities in GR.

do you have any ideas on how to solve this? i.e modify SM to give particles spatial extent or modify GR to remove singularities?

If you retain classical GR, one solution would be to smear particles across their Compton wavelength or Heisenberg uncertainty under QM so that they would cease to be point particles; if you moved to a graviton formulation of GR, there wouldn't be any true singularities in GR.

1. What is the main difference between Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

The main difference between Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity is that they describe different aspects of the physical world. Quantum Mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, while General Relativity explains the behavior of large-scale objects such as planets and galaxies.

2. Can Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity be merged into a single theory?

Currently, there is no single theory that can fully explain both Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. Many scientists are working on theories such as String Theory and Loop Quantum Gravity that aim to merge these two theories, but it is still a work in progress.

3. How do Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity contradict each other?

One of the main contradictions between Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity is the concept of space and time. In Quantum Mechanics, space and time are continuous, while in General Relativity, they are considered to be curved and affected by the presence of matter.

4. Have there been any attempts to reconcile these two theories?

Yes, there have been numerous attempts to reconcile Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. Some of the approaches include trying to modify one or both theories, or introducing new concepts such as extra dimensions. However, a complete and satisfactory reconciliation has not yet been achieved.

5. How does the concept of gravity differ in Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

In Quantum Mechanics, gravity is described as a force between particles, while in General Relativity, it is described as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter. This fundamental difference is one of the major challenges in reconciling these two theories.