Asymptotic formula for a power series

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof of the identity involving a summation and a function. The right-hand side of the identity is given in full form, and it is questioned if the identity is correct as a different result is obtained. The first few terms of the identity are also provided.
zetafunction
where can i find a proof of the following identity ?

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-x)^{n} \frac{c(n)}{n!} \sim c(x) +(1/2)c''(x)x+(1/6)c'''(x)x + (1/8)x^{2}c'''' (x) +++++ [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give a full form of right-hand side? And are you sure your identity must be right? I get different result from yours.

[tex]\sum _{n=0}^{\infty } \frac{(-x)^nc(n)}{n!}=\sum _{k=0}^{\infty } \left(\sum _{n=0}^{\infty } \frac{(-x)^n(n-x)^k}{n!k!}\right)c^{(k)}(x)[/tex]

For the first few terms:
[tex]e^{-x} c(x)-2 e^{-x} x c^{(1)}(x)+\frac{1}{2} e^{-x} x (-1+4 x) c^{(2)}(x)-\frac{1}{6} e^{-x} x \left(1-6 x+8 x^2\right) c^{(3)}(x)+\frac{1}{24} e^{-x} x \left(-1+11 x-24 x^2+16 x^3\right) c^{(4)}(x)+\text{...}[/tex]

Even if I use x is large, I can't get your result.

What is an asymptotic formula for a power series?

An asymptotic formula for a power series is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a power series as the number of terms approaches infinity. It is often used to approximate the value of a power series without having to calculate an infinite number of terms.

What is the purpose of an asymptotic formula for a power series?

The purpose of an asymptotic formula for a power series is to provide a simpler and more efficient way to calculate the value of a power series. It is also useful for understanding the behavior of a power series and making predictions about its convergence or divergence.

How is an asymptotic formula for a power series derived?

An asymptotic formula for a power series is derived by analyzing the coefficients and powers of the terms in the series. The formula can be derived using various mathematical techniques such as Taylor series, Maclaurin series, and Big O notation.

What are some common types of asymptotic formulas for power series?

Some common types of asymptotic formulas for power series include the Big O notation, which describes the upper bound of the terms in a series; the Little O notation, which describes the behavior of the terms as they approach zero; and the Theta notation, which describes the tightest possible bound for the terms in a series.

How is an asymptotic formula for a power series used in real-world applications?

An asymptotic formula for a power series is used in many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It is particularly useful in situations where an exact calculation of a power series is not possible or practical, and an approximate value is needed.