At the subatomic level, how does reflection and refraction occur?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of electron excitation and the release of electromagnetic waves when the electrons fall back to their ground state. The individual is interested in learning more about this in detail, particularly in regards to how the laws of reflection and refraction arise from these interactions and how to determine the amount of energy that is refracted or reflected. They also inquire about the dispersion of light when only one atom is present. They mention wanting to study modern physics and are recommended to read Richard Feynman's book "QED: The strange theory of light and matter" for a clear explanation of how reflection and refraction emerge from electromagnetic interactions at a subatomic level, with no math required. They also ask for recommendations on books that
cryora
I'm guessing it has to do with electron excitation, and the release of EM waves when the electrons fall back to their ground state, but I am want to learn more about this in detail. I've barely covered Maxwell's Equations and optics in a lower division general physics course, so there's a whole lot that I don't know.

I would like to be able to answer questions like:
- How do the laws of reflection and refraction arise from these interactions? I can understand that these laws come from ray optics, which are really macroscopic models of the behavior of light, but I'm sure there are microscopic explanations that are consistent with this as well.
- How can one find out how much of the energy is refracted and how much is reflected?
- If you had one atom, for instance, and you shined a beam of light at it, would the the falling of the electrons to their ground state result in dispersion of light in random directions, or is there a pattern to it?

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun and these questions would soon be answered once I study modern physics.

Science news on Phys.org
Start with Richard Feynman's book "QED: The strange theory of light and matter" - no math at all, but very clear and powerful techniques for visualizing how reflection and refraction emerge from electromagnetic interactions at a subatomic level.

Nugatory said:
Start with Richard Feynman's book "QED: The strange theory of light and matter" - no math at all,

Is there any go to book that has all the math?

Or something that puts an over view of all the math need - not just for QED, but covers other branches too.

1. What is reflection and refraction at the subatomic level?

Reflection and refraction at the subatomic level refer to the behavior of particles, such as photons, when they encounter a surface or boundary. Reflection is the bouncing back of a particle when it hits a surface, while refraction is the bending of a particle's path as it passes through a medium.

2. How do particles reflect at the subatomic level?

When a particle, such as a photon, hits a surface, it interacts with the atoms and electrons in that surface. The surface atoms and electrons absorb and then re-emit the particle, causing it to change direction and appear as if it has been reflected.

3. What determines the angle of reflection at the subatomic level?

The angle of reflection at the subatomic level is determined by the angle at which the particle hits the surface and the properties of the surface, such as its density and composition. The law of reflection states that the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the particle hits the surface.

4. How does refraction occur at the subatomic level?

Refraction occurs at the subatomic level when a particle, such as a photon, passes through a medium with a different density or composition. As the particle enters the new medium, it interacts with the atoms and electrons, causing it to change direction and appear as if it has been bent.

5. What is the relationship between reflection and refraction at the subatomic level?

Reflection and refraction are two different behaviors of particles at the subatomic level, but they are related. Both occur due to the interactions between particles and the atoms and electrons in a surface or medium. The law of reflection also applies to refraction, where the angle of refraction is related to the angle of incidence and the properties of the medium.