• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date

What age did you start college?

Votes: 8 20.0%

Votes: 15 37.5%

Votes: 14 35.0%

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
Also, isn't "college" in Europe the equivalent of high school grades 11 & 12 in the US?
Not in the UK.. College is typically below university, some people sit there A-levels/Highers at College, which people do around 16-18

in sweden we have elementary school for 9 years. A thing we call gymnasie(this is the closest to american high school I guess)for 3 years and afterwards university if you want to.

I dont know what the difference is betwen college and university in the states. But we have högskola(this can be translated into high-school but isnt the same as american high school) and university and they are the same except högskola doesnt have doctorate educations.

Galileo

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In the netherlands college is the same as university. After high school most are 18, which is the age most start college.

I was 20.

matthyaouw said:
Is there a difference between college and university in the US?
Nope, all the same to us.

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
daveb said:
Damn, I feel old. I started part time at 35 when I finally had the money and finished at 41. I'll (hopefully) be starting grad school this fall after a 2 year hiatus (and working).
Thank you for your post, DaveB. I think I'm on the same schedule as you are.:smile:

Technically I thought the difference between a college and a university in the US is that colleges only offer bachelors while universities offer masters (or more). i think some schools though haven't changed the their names, like boston college ( i guess because boston university was already taken), even though they offer advanced degrees.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Moonbear said:
Those years between 17 and 21 involve a lot of maturing, whether you're in college or out in the working world, and sending someone out into that environment while they are still just a young adolescent can be very emotionally stunting.
Hopefully that is the case, but I see a lot of people who don't seem to have matured even into their late 20's or 30's. By that, I mean taking responsibility for one's actions and accepting the consequences for poor decisions, particularly without excuses.