At what angular frequencies is the amplitude half of its resonant value?

In summary, the problem involves a simple pendulum with a length of 1m that undergoes free vibration with an amplitude that decreases by a factor of e in 50 swings. The pendulum is then subjected to forced vibration by moving its point of suspension with a horizontal amplitude of 1mm. The goal is to find the angular frequencies at which the amplitude is half of its resonant value of 0.1576m. Additional equations and information are provided, but the solution is currently unknown and requires further work to solve.
Ange

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum has a length of 1m. In free vibration the amplitude of its swings falls off by a factor of e in 50 swings. The pendulum is set into forced vibration by moving its point of suspension horizontally in SHM with an amplitude of 1 mm.

a) Built Differential

b) Found Amplitude at exact resonance = 0.1576m

c) At what angular frequencies is the amplitude half of its resonant value?

Homework Equations

A(wo)=0.1576m

wo/gamma=50π

A(w)=(F/m)/((wo^2−w^2)2+(γω)^2)^0.5
A(w)=(wo^2)Eo / ((wo^2−w^2)2+(γω)^2)^0.5 , where Eo is the horizontal displacement from the support(0.001m).

The Attempt at a Solution

A(w)=(F/m)/((wo^2−w^2)2+(γw)^2)^0.5
A(w)=0.5A(wo)=0.1576m/2

Solution is : ω0 ± 0.017 /s

I'm stuck in solving for w, not sure how to go about it I feel like I am missing information but something must cancel out somewhere. I tried expanding out the bottom, that gets me nowhere( thought I may use quadratic formula). Not sure where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is the resonant value of amplitude?

The resonant value of amplitude is the maximum value that a system can reach when driven at a specific frequency. It is the point at which the system is most responsive to the driving force.

2. How is the resonant value of amplitude determined?

The resonant value of amplitude is determined by the natural frequency of the system, which is a characteristic of the system and is dependent on its physical properties. It is also affected by any external forces or damping present in the system.

3. What is meant by "amplitude half of its resonant value"?

When the amplitude of a system is half of its resonant value, it means that the system is vibrating at a frequency that is half of its natural resonant frequency. This is also known as the half-power point or the half-amplitude point.

4. Can the amplitude of a system ever exceed its resonant value?

No, the amplitude of a system cannot exceed its resonant value. This is because at the resonant frequency, the system is already at its maximum response. If the driving force continues to increase, the system will become unstable and may even break.

5. How does the amplitude change as the frequency approaches the resonant value?

As the frequency approaches the resonant value, the amplitude of the system will increase. This is because the system's natural frequency is being matched more closely by the driving force, causing the system to resonate and reach its maximum response.