At what pressure / capacity does co-generation become viable?

In summary, at 20 bar steam pressure a back pressure turbine may be viable to generate some electricity. However, if the temperature of the steam is increased to 10 bar, it may become saturated and the turbine would not be able to use it.
rollingstein
Gold Member
We have a boiler (industrial) that produces steam at ~20 bar but our process requirements all need less than 10 bars. I was wondering if at these relatively low pressures a back pressure turbine is viable at all? To use the 10 bar drop in pressure to generate some electricity.

Our boiler size isn't huge but not tiny either. Approx. 20 MMBtu.

With rising electric costs it'd be nice if we could generate a fraction of our electrical load ourselves. Our total peak electrical power draw is about 300 kVA.

Any opinions / comments are welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it be easier to modify boiler itself, ie set 10bar valve, to make it consume less power?
Or your boiler uses different source of heat? Than it may be the good idea. I'm wondering, why steam engine power generators not in common use, it's very simple and may be fueled with coal or woods.

From what I've seen, Cogen isn't done by making one source of steam and making heat and power from it, it is done by making power directly with an engine and using the waste heat to make the steam.

You could possibly estimate the power output based on the back pressure, then account for losses and see how much kW it would output. Then you could size a generator based on it, calculate costs and see if it is economical enough.

We have a turbine on the plant which runs a compressor and a generator. The generator produces about 10 MW.

russ_watters said:
From what I've seen, Cogen isn't done by making one source of steam and making heat and power from it, it is done by making power directly with an engine and using the waste heat to make the steam.

You mean a turbine followed by a waste heat boiler? That's one way, yes.

But I think there are other ways especially for process plants where a need for some high pressure steam may exist. Essentially this would be a non condensing steam turbine I suppose.

Reheating, economisers??

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the parameters here. You have an existing boiler that runs at 20 bar and a process that needs 10 bar. Are you just looking for a way to turn the 20 bar steam into 10 bar steam while recovering energy instead of losing it in a pressure reducing station? Stupid question: why can't you just turn the boiler down to 10 bar?

I'd agree with rock.freak. It would probably be worth doing some quick calculations to determine the potential energy recovery and economic benefit. Given your turbine inlet conditions (20 bar, ? temperature) assume 80% isentropic efficiency and find the power output of a turbine at the given flow rate. Next, determine the outlet conditions on the turbine. If the steam is saturated, can you use it at 10 bar or do you need to heat it further? Note that some water could condense depending on how hot your steam goes into the turbine.

Now you know what you would need to do to recover the energy from 20 to 10 bar and how much power you can get. That power has some value. Compare how much value that power has to the capital cost needed to recover it. Consider you may need to recover that cost over 10 years. How much money is that?

If you need help with those calculations, please provide:
Temperature of 20 bar steam
Temperature needed at 10 bar
Mass flow rate of steam

And 10 Bar load (and therefore what the excess capacity is).

1. What is co-generation and how does it work?

Co-generation, also known as combined heat and power (CHP), is the simultaneous production of electricity and useful thermal energy from a single fuel source. This is achieved by capturing the waste heat generated during the electricity production process and using it for heating or cooling purposes.

2. What is the minimum pressure required for co-generation to be viable?

The minimum pressure required for co-generation to be viable varies depending on the type of system and fuel source being used. Generally, a minimum pressure of 5 bar (73 psi) is required for steam-based co-generation, while gas turbines and microturbines can operate at lower pressures of around 1-2 bar (14.5-29 psi).

3. How does co-generation compare to traditional electricity production methods?

Co-generation is generally more efficient than traditional electricity production methods, as it can achieve overall efficiencies of up to 90%, compared to around 40% for traditional methods. This is because co-generation utilizes the waste heat that would typically be lost in the electricity production process.

4. What factors determine the viability of co-generation for a particular project?

The viability of co-generation for a particular project depends on a variety of factors, including the cost and availability of fuel sources, the energy demands of the facility, and the regulatory and financial incentives available in the region. A thorough feasibility study should be conducted to determine the viability of co-generation for a specific project.

5. What are the potential benefits of implementing co-generation in an industrial or commercial setting?

Implementing co-generation in an industrial or commercial setting can provide a number of benefits, including reduced energy costs, improved energy efficiency, decreased reliance on the grid, and reduced carbon emissions. It can also provide a reliable source of heat and power for critical facilities, such as hospitals and data centers.