Atmospheric Pressure Above the Sea Level

In summary: So, if you are interested in how the pressure varies from the sea level value p0 to some altitude z, you can writep(z) = p0e-z/HNote, that setting z = H results in p(H) = p0/e. So, the pressure at an altitude of one scale height is just 1/e of the sea level value. Does that help?
anomalocaris

Homework Statement

The atmospheric pressure deceases exponentially with height. At 5.5 km, the pressure is half that at sea level. At what height is the pressure one eighth that of sea level?

Homework Equations

All I can think of is Pat=ρgh

I know 1 atm=101325 Pa=101.325 kPa and that this is the atmospheric pressure at sea level.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{101325 Pa}{2}[/itex]=ρ(9.8 m/s2)(5.5 km)
50662.5 Pa=ρ(9.8 m/s2)(5500 m)
50662.5 Pa=ρ(53900 m2s-1)
ρ=0.93993 kg/m3

I thought that in solving for density, I could change the equation to make
[itex]\frac{101325 Pa}{8}[/itex]=(0.93993 kg/m3)(9.8 m/s2)h
and then solve for h.
h=(12665.625 Pa)/((0.93993 kg/m3)(9.8 m/s2))
h=1380 m=1.38 km

This was my homework and for the life of me I do not know how I got this right, because the answer I found above is "incorrect." The correct answer should be 16.5 km. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I am going wrong? I'm wondering if I used the wrong formula? I do not think I understand the concept so well.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The key to this problem statement is the words deceases exponentially with height. So

P = P0e-h/H

where H is the so called scale height, and is equal to the height interval over which the pressure decreases by a factor of e.

Chestermiller said:
The key to this problem statement is the words deceases exponentially with height. So

P = P0e-h/H

where H is the so called scale height, and is equal to the height interval over which the pressure decreases by a factor of e.
Oh okay! We didn't go over this in lecture and it is not in my textbook. I'm not familiar with this formula. From what equation does one derive this?

For this particular problem, would I set it up like this:

[itex]101325 Pa/8[/itex]=([itex]101325 Pa/2[/itex])e-5.5 km/H

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:
anomalocaris said:
From what equation does one derive this?
It's what is meant by the information you were given: atmospheric pressure deceases exponentially with height. That is, there exist some constants P0 and H s.t. the pressure at height h is P0e-h/H.
[itex]101325 Pa/8[/itex]=([itex]101325 Pa/2[/itex])e-5.5 km/H
No, you have no unknowns in there, and you have the relationship backwards.
Given that P(h) = P0e-h/H, what equations do you get for h=0 (sea level) and h = 5.5km?

I agree with haruspex on his answer to the first part of your question. As to the second part, where does the relation come from: It comes from a combination of the hydrostatic equation and the ideal gas law:

dp/dz = -ρg

where ρ is the density of air and g is the acceleration of gravity. From the ideal gas law,

ρ = (pM)/(RT)

where M is the molecular weight of air.

Combining the two equations, we get

dp/dz = -p / H

where H is called the scale height:

H = (RT)/(Mg)

In reality, since T varies with altitude z, H does also. But, often people use an average value over the troposphere to estimate how the pressure varies with altitude. Often, the scale height is taken to be constant at ~ 7 km.

1. What is atmospheric pressure above sea level?

Atmospheric pressure above sea level refers to the force per unit area exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere at a given altitude above sea level. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as millibars or inches of mercury.

2. How does atmospheric pressure change with altitude?

As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases. This is because the air molecules are more spread out at higher altitudes, resulting in less weight and therefore less pressure. On average, atmospheric pressure decreases by about 1 millibar for every 8 meters increase in altitude.

3. What are the effects of atmospheric pressure on weather and climate?

Atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in determining weather patterns and climate. High atmospheric pressure typically brings clear skies and calm weather, while low pressure often leads to stormy and unsettled conditions. Differences in atmospheric pressure also contribute to the formation of wind and other weather phenomena.

4. How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure can be measured using a device called a barometer, which typically uses either liquid or aneroid (no liquid) methods. The most commonly used unit of measurement for atmospheric pressure is the millibar (mb), which is equivalent to 100 pascals.

5. How does atmospheric pressure impact human health?

Changes in atmospheric pressure can have various effects on human health. Rapid changes in pressure, such as during a storm, can cause discomfort in the ears and sinuses. High altitude areas with lower atmospheric pressure can also lead to altitude sickness, as the body adjusts to the lower oxygen levels. However, for most people living at sea level, atmospheric pressure does not have a significant impact on health.