Calculation of atmospheric presure

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating atmospheric pressure in London, specifically at a height of 550m above sea level. The equation patm= rho g h is used, assuming that air density does not change with height. The result is 93352pa or 92.5kpa, taking into account significant figures.
Derek1997

Homework Statement

Taking atmospheric pressure at sea level to be 1x10^5 pa CPa and the density of air at sea level to be
about 1.2kg/m^3,estimate the atmospheric pressure in London 550m above sea level. For this calculation, it is easiest to assume that air density doesn’t change with height – briefly discuss
the validity of this assumption

Homework Equations

patm= rho g h

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I did p=pgh- 1.2x9.8x550 and substracted the answer by the atmosperhic pressure of the sea to get the answer? Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Derek1997 said:
Am I right?
Don't know, you haven't stated your result. It's certainly one way to "estimate" atmospheric pressure in London.

Bystander said:
Don't know, you haven't stated your result. It's certainly one way to "estimate" atmospheric pressure in London.
Well alright thanks for reply.. here the results i got above
so for p atmospheric i got- 1.2kg/m^3x9.8m/s^2x 550m= 6648pa then i substractfrom the very given pressure that is 1x10^5pa-6648pa= 93352pa pressure of london?

Derek1997 said:
1x10^5pa-6648pa= 93352pa pressure of london?
You might want, in addition, to pay attention to significant figures.

Bystander said:
You might want, in addition, to pay attention to significant figures.
you mean i convert to kpa?

Bystander said:
to significant figures.
Not units --- significant figures.

I don't understand. 93352pa= 92.5kpa?

Yes. I'll re-emphasize the "might," I've no idea how picky your instructor "might" be.

Likes Derek1997
Oh ok, thanks i gave u a like.

Likes Bystander
:wink:

What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure, also known as air pressure, is the force exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere on a unit area of the Earth's surface.

How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure is typically measured in units of pressure called millibars (mb). This unit is equivalent to the force of one kilogram per square meter.

What factors affect atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is affected by several factors including altitude, temperature, and the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere. As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases. As temperature increases, atmospheric pressure decreases. And as the amount of water vapor increases, atmospheric pressure also increases.

Why is atmospheric pressure important?

Atmospheric pressure is important for many reasons. It helps to regulate the Earth's climate, influences weather patterns, and is necessary for the survival of all living organisms. Changes in atmospheric pressure can also indicate approaching weather systems and can affect the performance of aircraft and other machinery.

How is atmospheric pressure calculated?

Atmospheric pressure is calculated using the ideal gas law, which relates pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It can also be measured using a device called a barometer, which measures the weight of the atmosphere pushing down on a column of mercury or other liquid.