Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic screen

  1. Jun 4, 2013 #1
    Hi , well this is just a idea that came up when thinking about a certain problem in physics.

    Now it's late and I don't wan to be long but is it possible or has it been done , a device that could for example hold back lighter nuclei and let through heavier ones or vice versa?
    Well imagine a pipe that has some gas or plasma under pressure and at the end a nozzle but the nozzle let's only heavier nuclei through so unless those nuclei have fused or etc they cannot escape the nozzle.

    Somewhat like a sieve for rocks , when you want to separate bigger ones from smaller ones or from sand for building purposes.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2


    User Avatar
    2016 Award

    Staff: Mentor

    Helium and hydrogen can diffuse through many materials quite easily (at least compared to other nuclei) as they are so small. This is a serious issue if you want to have a good vacuum.

    I doubt that this can be used in any fusion-related way.
  4. Jun 4, 2013 #3


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Typically it works the reverse way. The lighter, smaller objects are allowed through while the bigger ones are trapped. I don't see any way to make it work the way you are asking.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Atomic screen
  1. Atom /.? (Replies: 5)

  2. Atom ? (Replies: 4)

  3. LED screen (Replies: 5)