Atomic transition - What does this notation mean?

In summary, The notation used for laser cooling, such as "3S_{1/2} \rightarrow 3 P_{3/2}", refers to the principal, suborbital, and total electronic angular quantum numbers of a given electron. This notation is used to specify the atomic transition being targeted for laser cooling. In the case of composite systems, the notation indicates the transition from L=0 to L=1 and J=1/2 to J=3/2. The term "D_2" refers to a specific type of atomic transition and is related to the notation used for laser cooling.
octol
Hello all, I've been reading about laser cooling, and when they speak of tuning the laser to a atomic transition, they write this (for example) as
"The laser cooling was performed on the [tex]D_2[/tex] transition ([tex]3S_{1/2} \rightarrow 3 P_{3/2}[/tex])".

But what do they mean by that notation? I'm clueless as what it is supposed to mean as it doesn't look like the spectroscopic notation (i.e the number 3 is NOT in superscript).

Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the 3 is the principal quantum number, S and P are related to the suborbtial or azimuthal quantum number, and 1/2 and 3/2 are (IIRC) the total electronic angular quantum momentum numbers which parameterize the total angular momentum of a given electron, by combining its orbital angular momentum and its intrinsic angular momentum (i.e., its spin).

Has one studied the quantum numbers of atomic electrons?

ok so the
[tex]3 S_{1/2} \rightarrow 3 P_{3/2}[/tex]
means the same as for a normal transition, except that this is in the case of a composite system? i.e the transition is L=0 to L=1 and J=1/2 to J=3/2.

What is then meant by [tex]D_2[/tex]? And how does this relate to the above?

1. What is an atomic transition?

An atomic transition refers to the movement of an electron from one energy level to another within an atom. This movement can result in the emission or absorption of electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

2. What does the notation in atomic transitions mean?

The notation used in atomic transitions represents the energy levels involved in the transition. For example, the notation 2p → 1s means that an electron is moving from the 2nd energy level in the p orbital to the 1st energy level in the s orbital.

3. How is atomic transition related to the color of an element?

The color of an element is determined by the energy levels and transitions of its electrons. When an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it emits light with a specific wavelength, which corresponds to a specific color. Therefore, the atomic transition plays a significant role in determining the color of an element.

4. What factors affect the probability of an atomic transition?

The likelihood of an atomic transition occurring is influenced by several factors, including the energy difference between the two levels involved, the number of electrons in the atom, and the quantum state of the electrons. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect the probability of an atomic transition.

5. How does atomic transition contribute to the study of atoms and molecules?

Atomic transition plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of atoms and molecules. By studying the energy levels and transitions of electrons, scientists can determine the properties of elements and molecules, such as their color, reactivity, and stability. This information is essential in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.