1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic transition - What does this notation mean?

1. Aug 12, 2006 #1
    Hello all, I've been reading about laser cooling, and when they speak of tuning the laser to a atomic transition, they write this (for example) as
    "The laser cooling was performed on the [tex]D_2[/tex] transition ([tex]3S_{1/2} \rightarrow 3 P_{3/2}[/tex])".

But what do they mean by that notation? I'm clueless as what it is supposed to mean as it doesn't look like the spectroscopic notation (i.e the number 3 is NOT in superscript).
    Best regards,
    Jon

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I believe that the 3 is the principal quantum number, S and P are related to the suborbtial or azimuthal quantum number, and 1/2 and 3/2 are (IIRC) the total electronic angular quantum momentum numbers which parameterize the total angular momentum of a given electron, by combining its orbital angular momentum and its intrinsic angular momentum (i.e., its spin).

Has one studied the quantum numbers of atomic electrons?

4. Aug 12, 2006 #3
    ok so the
    [tex]3 S_{1/2} \rightarrow 3 P_{3/2}[/tex]
    means the same as for a normal transition, except that this is in the case of a composite system? i.e the transition is L=0 to L=1 and J=1/2 to J=3/2.

What is then meant by [tex]D_2[/tex]? And how does this relate to the above?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?