1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atoms splitting in a nuclear reaction and Bacterial Growth

1. Feb 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Investigate
    The number of atoms splitting up in a nuclear reaction
    and
    Bacterial growth

Your investigation should use appropriate formulae and graphs and include information from records of real events. You should aim to show how good the mathematical models are in predicting real life events and how formulae could be modified to make them better if necessary.

2. Relevant equations
    N=N0ekt

3. The attempt at a solution
    The maths is easy enough, I can demonstrate how the formula is made and how we can predict the population at time t or work out time if we have the population already but im finding it challenging to find 'records of real events' where i can put these formulas to use. Any ideas of where to find these records would be appreciated. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the nuclear case, I would suggest you go to a different Forum that is more directly relevant to your questions. Physics Forums has homework subgroups devoted to elementary and advanced physics, as well non-homework groups devoted to nuclear matters, etc.

4. Feb 20, 2014 #3
    i thought that but this assignment is for a level maths (12th grade i guess) so they shouldnt assume any knowledge of physics at all

5. Feb 20, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go back and read you own question. You wanted to find 'records of real events', and those certainly belong to physics, not to maths. Same for cell-splitting, which belongs in biology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted