Attempting to learn a little bit of Quantum physics at 17

In summary, attempting to learn a little bit of Quantum physics at 17 can be a challenging but rewarding experience. It involves understanding the fundamental principles of the subatomic world and how they shape our understanding of the universe. This includes concepts such as superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty, which can be difficult to grasp at first. However, with dedication and patience, a 17-year-old can begin to develop a basic understanding of Quantum physics and explore its fascinating applications in fields such as technology and medicine. Overall, the journey to learn Quantum physics at a young age may be daunting, but it has the potential to open up a world of knowledge and innovation.
tomh5432
I'm 17 years old and plan to study theoretical physics at university. I want to try and learn a bit of quantum physics just because it interests me; got to spend the summer doing something! Sadly I only have a AS level understanding (including FP1) of maths so can anyone recommend any resources (preferably videos) that I can use to try and learn a bit more advanced mathematics and eventually quantum physics.

Thanks to all that reply!

Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what maths you have covered. Have you done calculus yet? If so consider watching these:

Multivariable Calculus:

Linear Algebra:

The videos continue on (Lec. 2, Lec. 3, ...) , covering an entire semester. The information contains links to the corresponding OCW pages, which have the syllabi, homework assignments, etc. I would be advisable to do some problems in addition to watching the videos.

That should keep you busy for some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the relply! I'll get back to you when I've finished watching the videos. Will probably be a while!

tomh5432 said:
I'm 17 years old and plan to study theoretical physics at university. I want to try and learn a bit of quantum physics just because it interests me; got to spend the summer doing something! Sadly I only have a AS level understanding (including FP1) of maths so can anyone recommend any resources (preferably videos) that I can use to try and learn a bit more advanced mathematics and eventually quantum physics.

Thanks to all that reply!

Tom

This is a fun book about general physics at an introductory level. It's got some basic stuff in it, but also some more intermediate and interesting stuff. Check it out at a local bookstore or online to see if it would be a good read for the summer:

Thinking Physics by Carol: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218084/?tag=pfamazon01-20

51YBVGVV19L.jpg

Don't they teach Quantum Mechanics in AS level ?

berkeman said:
This is a fun book about general physics at an introductory level. It's got some basic stuff in it, but also some more intermediate and interesting stuff. Check it out at a local bookstore or online to see if it would be a good read for the summer:

Thinking Physics by Carol: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218084/?tag=pfamazon01-20

51YBVGVV19L.jpg

This book is incredible!

EVERYONE should have this on their shelf.

montadhar said:
Don't they teach Quantum Mechanics in AS level ?

No, they don't teach quantum mechanics at A Level(High School) at all beyond a superficial and non-mathematical glimpse. At A Level Maths, you haven't done any linear algebra, only a little matrices which you can do some of in FP1, which I am given to understand is necessary for QM.

tridianprime said:
No, they don't teach quantum mechanics at A Level(High School) at all beyond a superficial and non-mathematical glimpse. At A Level Maths, you haven't done any linear algebra, only a little matrices which you can do some of in FP1, which I am given to understand is necessary for QM.

I wanted the OP to say that himself. Thanks anyway.

OP: remember what you studied in your A-levels that E=hf ? You needed to know what energy is from classical physics before you could understand that equation. Likewise, if you want to study more advanced quantum mechanics, you need to cover the classical physics counterpart first, in addition to covering the necessary mathematics.

There are many threads asking the same question as yours, you can use the search function if you want.

They do a bit of the photoelectric effect and E=hf but that's about it. Do you know of any lectures online that I can use to learn more advanced classical mechanics?

Yeah I've seen some of the Walter Lewin lectures. Such a good lecturer!

montadhar said:
I wanted the OP to say that himself. Thanks anyway.

Sorry, I thought you were just looking for an answer.

tomh5432 said:
Yeah I've seen some of the Walter Lewin lectures. Such a good lecturer!

Yes, he is. My problem with these are that I wasn't able to buy the book so instead I am using Kleppner and Kolenkow and then just revising the content in the chapters relevant to the lecture so that I can do the problems in K&K. It is working well so far. Alternatively, take a look at http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01sc-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-2010/ which is a lot more all inclusive and contains exercises for which no book is needed. If you can get or have no need for the book however, have fun!

Note: I would use K&K if you want a more mathematical approach to it because the usual course for this(MIT OCW 8.012) has no lectures or lecture notes. Therefore, I would go through K&K and watch the lectures together. I really have not been doing it long at all but it seems good so far so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hey I'm 17 too and for the past few years I've been trying to learn everything I can about physics. But I don't know exactly what I'm going to study in college yet. What university are you planning to attend?

MisterX said:
I don't know what maths you have covered. Have you done calculus yet? If so consider watching these:

Multivariable Calculus:

Linear Algebra:

The videos continue on (Lec. 2, Lec. 3, ...) , covering an entire semester. The information contains links to the corresponding OCW pages, which have the syllabi, homework assignments, etc. I would be advisable to do some problems in addition to watching the videos.

That should keep you busy for some time.
Omg Professor Auroux! I love him :). Definitely my best math professor. It was a pleasure having him for multivariable and getting to listen to him talk every lecture :))))))

I don't know depends on my AS results really. I think I did well but you never know until results day. I'd like to go to a top uni like oxford, Cambridge and imperial but lack the self-belief:L I just think I'll get rejected... Hopefully a good university though; I've had a look at Bath and am going to Warwick in September. How about you?

tomh5432 said:
I don't know depends on my AS results really. I think I did well but you never know until results day. I'd like to go to a top uni like oxford, Cambridge and imperial but lack the self-belief:L I just think I'll get rejected... Hopefully a good university though; I've had a look at Bath and am going to Warwick in September. How about you?

I apologise for the off-topic post.

Why the lack in self-belief? I have spoken to cambridge admissions at Trinity, cambridge and they say that it is not even about the grades all that much. As long as you get say an A*AA or A*A*B or something like that, you are deemed a reasonable candidate and given an interview. At this point, it is all down to the interview and any tests they give. This is what counts the most and somebody who does well at this but less so on the AS's will be seen in a very good light.

I also inquired about interviews and how you appear, because of my Aspergers and they say that lack of outgoing self confidence is very common at interviews and they are very good at seeing beyond it and it's not a problem at all. That may of course not be what you mean by self belief.

As a disclaimer, I have no personal experience but I have been in contact with admissions staff.

I apologise if it's too personal, but what are you hoping to get at AS?

Hopefully As in maths, f.maths and physics and a B in chemistry (which I'm dropping). I think I could maybe get an A* in maths just have to boss C3 and C4... Think you have to get over 80 UMS in each unit as well, not sure though.

tomh5432 said:
Hopefully As in maths, f.maths and physics and a B in chemistry (which I'm dropping). I think I could maybe get an A* in maths just have to boss C3 and C4... Think you have to get over 80 UMS in each unit as well, not sure though.

The 80UMS thing is right. However, that is average so you can get lower in some modules if you make it up in others. Why not get a headstart and start prep for C3 and C4 over the summer, if you weren't already. I wouldn't do much but just a little for the last couple of weeks or something similar. I wouldn't do it instead of anything else though like the physics. Do you know the website Examsolutions.com? If not, check it out. It has loads of great videos.

That's great grades! If I was in your position now, I would apply to the lot (Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick). If you can pull it off and then get A* in maths, you should get into one at least, as long as the interview/tests go well. I am given to believe that Oxford will require you to do the 'Physics Admissions Test'.

Again, I am sorry for going off topic.

I've done a bit of polar coordinates for FP2 and we've started C3 in school but I'll probably do some over the summer. And yeah I've had a look at the admission tests for Oxford. The maths part looks pretty straight forward but the physics questions at the end can be tricky... I'm not really dead-set on going to Oxbridge I just want to go to a good university and do physics:L As long as I'm doing physics I don't really mind where I go:L

tomh5432 said:
I've done a bit of polar coordinates for FP2 and we've started C3 in school but I'll probably do some over the summer. And yeah I've had a look at the admission tests for Oxford. The maths part looks pretty straight forward but the physics questions at the end can be tricky... I'm not really dead-set on going to Oxbridge I just want to go to a good university and do physics:L As long as I'm doing physics I don't really mind where I go:L

Excellent, I agree all of the way. I love it so I will study it anyway. I just thought I'd put in there to tell you that self-belief isn't necessary, although sadly unavoidable. It doesn't really matter where you study as long as it does what you want.

FP2 is quite interesting. I know Edexcel and it includes Differential Equations in FP2 - that is fun. Good luck!

Yeah, teaching material is all the same and I'd assume all of the top 15-20 have good lecturers. Guess it depends on your preference and how you like to learn...

tomh5432 said:
Yeah, teaching material is all the same and I'd assume all of the top 15-20 have good lecturers. Guess it depends on your preference and how you like to learn...

Yeah, I find it odd sometimes on PF because they use all of these great books like Kleppner and Kolenkow or Goldstein etc. at top universities and I never see them on UK uni websites. I may be completely wrong but it seems like it. It may be the same in America of course. For example, Kibble and Berkshires "Classical Mechanics" is commonly used in the UK I believe and its ICP but I don't think it's widely used in the USA or elsewhere. I may be wrong, of course. :confused:

Didn't see the fp2 part:L and yeah I love further maths! Don't think there is any differential equations though- they're in C4.

Don't know much about what textbooks they use... It's just a professor at Bath said that there's a physics community/group that make sure all universities teach the necessary subjects professional physicists need.

I guess you're not doing Edexcel then? There are DE's in there. They're in C4 as well but in a greater extent with other methods such as substitution to solve them.

Yeah, that makes sense. Otherwise, nobody would be prepared for work in physics at another university... hahaha

I'm doing OCR. Not sure what's in fp2, defiantly polar coordinates and some differentiation and integration but much more in depth... Think differential equations are in fp3

tomh5432 said:
I'm doing OCR. Not sure what's in fp2, defiantly polar coordinates and some differentiation and integration but much more in depth... Think differential equations are in fp3

I have to do OCR-MEI next year. I believe there is some Differential Geometry in FP3 - that would be a lot of fun.

tridianprime said:
I believe there is some Differential Geometry in FP3 - that would be a lot of fun.

If this: http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20FP3%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf is what you're talking about, then no, there is no diffeo geo.

That's just ODEs (ordinary differential equations), some linear algebra, some complex algebra, and intro group theory.

To the OP: It feels like your idolizing quantum mechanics! This happens a lot, and I believe you're better off getting a solid foundation on classical problems before moving onto quantum mechanics.

Anyway, you need to have a solid understanding of eigenvalues (linear algebra), and it'd be helpful if you knew a few things about the wave equation, which is a PDE (Partial differential equation).

Good luck!

romsofia said:
If this: http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20FP3%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf is what you're talking about, then no, there is no diffeo geo.

That's just ODEs (ordinary differential equations), some linear algebra, some complex algebra, and intro group theory.

To the OP: It feels like your idolizing quantum mechanics! This happens a lot, and I believe you're better off getting a solid foundation on classical problems before moving onto quantum mechanics.

Anyway, you need to have a solid understanding of eigenvalues (linear algebra), and it'd be helpful if you knew a few things about the wave equation, which is a PDE (Partial differential equation).

Good luck!

No, it's in OCR-MEI not OCR. It's awkward to find a link right now because I am on my phone but there is a spec somewhere. Thanks.

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is the foundation of modern physics and explains phenomena such as energy levels, wave-particle duality, and quantum entanglement.

Is it difficult to learn quantum physics at a young age?

Quantum physics can be a challenging subject, but it is not impossible to learn at a young age. It requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a willingness to think abstractly. With dedication and hard work, it is possible to understand the basics of quantum physics at 17.

What are some practical applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has numerous practical applications, including the development of new technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering.

Do I need to have a background in physics to learn quantum physics?

While having a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn quantum physics. Many concepts in quantum physics can be understood through basic mathematics and critical thinking skills. However, a basic understanding of classical physics can provide a good foundation for learning quantum physics.

Can I learn quantum physics on my own?

Yes, it is possible to learn quantum physics on your own. There are many online resources, books, and videos available that can help you understand the fundamentals of quantum physics. However, it is recommended to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor to fully grasp the complex concepts of quantum physics.