What are the job prospects for a PhD in Physics in science policy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Catria
Messages
145
Reaction score
4
I am in flux at the moment. On one hand I am concerned about the job prospects of a PhD in physics. On the other hand, one of these articles I've read about non-research jobs that can be done with a PhD in physics is science policy.

1. What skills, other than communication (both oral and written), are important to do a science policy job?

2. Is science policy a field where one needs to go to the right school, or work under the right advisor, to be considered for an interview?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need experience. That is either several years as a PI, or one of the (e.g.) APS or AAAS fellowships. If you go the second route, you will definitely have a glass ceiling, because you have not been a PI, and don't have "street cred" with the community.