1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attenuation constant (low-loss dielectrics)

1. Nov 10, 2006 #1
    [tex]\alpha =\frac {\omega \epsilon \prime \prime} {2} \sqrt {\mu \epsilon \prime} [/tex]

My question is what exactly does the [tex]\epsilon \prime \prime[/tex] term signify??

I see sections of my notes that say [tex]\epsilon \prime \prime << \epsilon [/tex], but what is it?

I mean when I am trying to find the attenuation constant and the material happens to be a low-loss dielectric and you are given the actual permittivity [tex]( \epsilon )[/tex] I don't know what to do with the [tex] \epsilon \prime \prime[/tex] term. It's the only value I don't know in the problem?

I would REALLY appreciate any help on this because I really need to understand this before my exam on Monday.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2006 #2
    Sorry I was looking up how to correctly write up the primes using Latex. It's fixed now.

4. Nov 10, 2006 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dan is probably right.

The basic equation for the absorption [itex]\alpha[/itex] is

[tex]\alpha = 2\Im(k) = 2\omega \frac{\mu}{2}\sqrt{\sqrt{\Re(\epsilon)^2+\Im(\epsilon)^2}-\Re(\epsilon)}[/tex]

And my guess is that your expression is some approximation of that.

But are there really 3 epsilons?! a non prime, a primed and a double primed?!?

6. Nov 10, 2006 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \epsilon = \epsilon \prime + i \epsilon \prime \prime[/tex]

7. Nov 10, 2006 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is the most sensible guess, but then the expression e''<<e doesn't make sense since e is not real.

8. Nov 10, 2006 #7
    The [tex]\epsilon[/tex] in my notes is the permittivity given by this expression:

[tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_r \epsilon_0 [/tex]

Thanks for the quick replies guys and I understand this a little better, but could you just tell me if I have this right.

OK let's say that you are wanting to find the attenuation constant for a low-loss dielectric with the following properties:

[tex]\sigma=5.80*10^-^2 (S/m)[/tex]
    [tex]\omega = 100 GHz[/tex]
    [tex]\epsilon_r = 1[/tex]
    [tex]\mu = \mu_0[/tex]

You first test to see if it is a low-loss dielectric or a good conductor.
    Then finding that at that the material is a low-loss dielectric you can proceed to use the previsously stated equation for the attenuation constant (in first post). Do you say that it doesn't behave like a perfect dielectric, which means that the conduction current is not negligible and this means that you can reexpress the magnitude of the complex part as follows:

[tex]\epsilon \prime \prime = \frac {\sigma} {\omega}[/tex]

Am I right in doing this??

9. Nov 11, 2006 #8

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That apperas to be consitent with the approach taken in that link I posted earlier

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?