Attenuation constant (low-loss dielectrics)

• Thread starter big man
  • Start date
[tex]\alpha =\frac {\omega \epsilon \prime \prime} {2} \sqrt {\mu \epsilon \prime} [/tex]

My question is what exactly does the [tex]\epsilon \prime \prime[/tex] term signify??

I see sections of my notes that say [tex]\epsilon \prime \prime << \epsilon [/tex], but what is it?

I mean when I am trying to find the attenuation constant and the material happens to be a low-loss dielectric and you are given the actual permittivity [tex]( \epsilon )[/tex] I don't know what to do with the [tex] \epsilon \prime \prime[/tex] term. It's the only value I don't know in the problem?

I would REALLY appreciate any help on this because I really need to understand this before my exam on Monday.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Sorry I was looking up how to correctly write up the primes using Latex. It's fixed now.

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dan is probably right.

The basic equation for the absorption [itex]\alpha[/itex] is

[tex]\alpha = 2\Im(k) = 2\omega \frac{\mu}{2}\sqrt{\sqrt{\Re(\epsilon)^2+\Im(\epsilon)^2}-\Re(\epsilon)}[/tex]

And my guess is that your expression is some approximation of that.

But are there really 3 epsilons?! a non prime, a primed and a double primed?!?

OlderDan
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
quasar987 said:
Dan is probably right.

The basic equation for the absorption [itex]\alpha[/itex] is

[tex]\alpha = 2\Im(k) = 2\omega \frac{\mu}{2}\sqrt{\sqrt{\Re(\epsilon)^2+\Im(\epsilon)^2}-\Re(\epsilon)}[/tex]

And my guess is that your expression is some approximation of that.

But are there really 3 epsilons?! a non prime, a primed and a double primed?!?
[tex] \epsilon = \epsilon \prime + i \epsilon \prime \prime[/tex]

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
That is the most sensible guess, but then the expression e''<<e doesn't make sense since e is not real.

The [tex]\epsilon[/tex] in my notes is the permittivity given by this expression:

[tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_r \epsilon_0 [/tex]

Thanks for the quick replies guys and I understand this a little better, but could you just tell me if I have this right.

OK let's say that you are wanting to find the attenuation constant for a low-loss dielectric with the following properties:

[tex]\sigma=5.80*10^-^2 (S/m)[/tex]
[tex]\omega = 100 GHz[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon_r = 1[/tex]
[tex]\mu = \mu_0[/tex]

You first test to see if it is a low-loss dielectric or a good conductor.
Then finding that at that the material is a low-loss dielectric you can proceed to use the previsously stated equation for the attenuation constant (in first post). Do you say that it doesn't behave like a perfect dielectric, which means that the conduction current is not negligible and this means that you can reexpress the magnitude of the complex part as follows:

[tex]\epsilon \prime \prime = \frac {\sigma} {\omega}[/tex]

Am I right in doing this??

Last edited:
OlderDan
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
big man said:
[tex]\epsilon \prime \prime = \frac {\sigma} {\omega}[/tex]

Am I right in doing this??
That apperas to be consitent with the approach taken in that link I posted earlier