Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Attenuation constant (low-loss dielectrics)

1. Nov 10, 2006 #1
    [tex]\alpha =\frac {\omega \epsilon \prime \prime} {2} \sqrt {\mu \epsilon \prime} [/tex]

My question is what exactly does the [tex]\epsilon \prime \prime[/tex] term signify??

I see sections of my notes that say [tex]\epsilon \prime \prime << \epsilon [/tex], but what is it?

I mean when I am trying to find the attenuation constant and the material happens to be a low-loss dielectric and you are given the actual permittivity [tex]( \epsilon )[/tex] I don't know what to do with the [tex] \epsilon \prime \prime[/tex] term. It's the only value I don't know in the problem?

I would REALLY appreciate any help on this because I really need to understand this before my exam on Monday.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2006 #2
    Sorry I was looking up how to correctly write up the primes using Latex. It's fixed now.

4. Nov 10, 2006 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dan is probably right.

The basic equation for the absorption [itex]\alpha[/itex] is

[tex]\alpha = 2\Im(k) = 2\omega \frac{\mu}{2}\sqrt{\sqrt{\Re(\epsilon)^2+\Im(\epsilon)^2}-\Re(\epsilon)}[/tex]

And my guess is that your expression is some approximation of that.

But are there really 3 epsilons?! a non prime, a primed and a double primed?!?

6. Nov 10, 2006 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \epsilon = \epsilon \prime + i \epsilon \prime \prime[/tex]

7. Nov 10, 2006 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is the most sensible guess, but then the expression e''<<e doesn't make sense since e is not real.

8. Nov 10, 2006 #7
    The [tex]\epsilon[/tex] in my notes is the permittivity given by this expression:

[tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_r \epsilon_0 [/tex]

Thanks for the quick replies guys and I understand this a little better, but could you just tell me if I have this right.

OK let's say that you are wanting to find the attenuation constant for a low-loss dielectric with the following properties:

[tex]\sigma=5.80*10^-^2 (S/m)[/tex]
    [tex]\omega = 100 GHz[/tex]
    [tex]\epsilon_r = 1[/tex]
    [tex]\mu = \mu_0[/tex]

You first test to see if it is a low-loss dielectric or a good conductor.
    Then finding that at that the material is a low-loss dielectric you can proceed to use the previsously stated equation for the attenuation constant (in first post). Do you say that it doesn't behave like a perfect dielectric, which means that the conduction current is not negligible and this means that you can reexpress the magnitude of the complex part as follows:

[tex]\epsilon \prime \prime = \frac {\sigma} {\omega}[/tex]

Am I right in doing this??

9. Nov 11, 2006 #8

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That apperas to be consitent with the approach taken in that link I posted earlier

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook