1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attraction of metal plates and ball

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm having trouble understanding charges on Earthed plates I think.
    I know the answer for this question is that the ball will be attracted to the high voltage plate and stay there but I do not know why is that.
    2. Relevant equations
    A light metal ball is suspended between two metal plates. One plate is earthed and the other is connected to the positive terminal of a high voltage supply. The ball will: ?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure why I'm wrong about this question. In my opinion, the earthed metal plate would be devoid of electrons (since they all escaped to the Earth?) so it would be positively charged. So wouldn't the ball be more attracted to the earthed plate rather than the voltage positive plate? I'm not really sure :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi paperdoll! :smile:

In an electric circuit the negative electrons flow from the negative pole to the positive pole.
    In other words, a positive pole attracts and absorbs electrons.

An earth connection allows electrons to flow in or out freely.
    In the presence of a positive charge, electrons will be drawn in from the earth.

So the electrons will be drawn away from high voltage plate, leaving a positive charge.

The positive charge will attract electrons to the earthed plate and it will also unbalance the electrons in the metal ball.
    In particular one side of the metal ball will become negatively charged with electrons (on the side of the positive plate), and the other side will becomes equally positive charged.

Which forces will come into play?

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3

ok, I've drawn a diagram of the situation but I still cannot figure out why the ball will be attracted to the voltage plate. Why shouldn't the ball just stay put where it is? or maybe swing around between the two plates :confused:

here is my diagram http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/screenshot20111023at721.jpg/"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Oct 23, 2011 #5
    umm when the metal ball touches the positively high voltage plate I would imagine that electrons will move towards the plate and the ball will become more positively charged? so then it will be repelled and swing towards the earthed plate :\ I think

7. Oct 23, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yep! :)

When the ball touches the high voltage plate, its voltage with be equalized to the voltage of the plus pole, meaning it becomes positively charged.

So the ball swings to the earthed plate.
    What will happen when the ball touches the earthed plate?

8. Oct 23, 2011 #7
    ok so the ball will now be positive and this means that electrons will be drawn up from the ground on the earthed plate. So when the ball touches this plate, electrons, move from the earthed plate to the ball and then the ball becomes the same charge as the the plate. So it repels and swings back??

I'm imaging the ball swinging back forth, back forth, back through now haha :uhh:

9. Oct 23, 2011 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  10. Oct 23, 2011 #9
  11. Oct 23, 2011 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Till next time then!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook