Attraction of two spheres in deep space

In summary, the gravitational force between two spheres with a radius of 10m is only 540N. If the distance between the spheres is tripled, the force is multiplied by 1/9.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

A solid led sphere of radius 10m has a mass of about 57 million kg. If two of these spheres are floating in deep space with their centers 20m apart, the gravitational attraction between them is only 540N. How large would this gravitational force be if the distance between the centers was tripled?

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=mg
Gm1m2 / d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is starting to piss me off.

(G x 57,000,000^2) / 40^2 ≠ 540. It's not even close!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitational force is, as your formula shows, inversely proportional to the square of the distance. If the distance between centers is tripled, the force is multiplied by 1/9.

(where did you get the "40" in the denominator? The given distance between centers is 20 m, not 40. And what did you use for "G".)

Feodalherren said:
Gm1m2 / d^2
Use ratios. Compare F1 when the distance = d1 to F2 when the distance = d2 = 3d1.

The distance between the spheres was given as 20 but their radius was given as 10m, which makes the distance between the centers a total of 40m. It's still not even close.

Did they pull these numbers out of their a-holes or something!?

Feodalherren said:
The distance between the spheres was given as 20 but their radius was given as 10m, which makes the distance between the centers a total of 40m.
You are told that their centers are 20m apart.

Woops, you're right. That makes the number even less plausible... Could you calculate it and see if you get 540N?
I must be doing something wrong I get a HUGE number.

Feodalherren said:
Woops, you're right. That makes the number even less plausible... Could you calculate it and see if you get 540N?
I must be doing something wrong I get a HUGE number.
Use ratios. If the distance doubles, for example, does the force get bigger or smaller? By what factor?

I will check their numbers out to see if that quoted force makes sense, but you do not need to do that to answer the question.
Edit: Their numbers work out just fine. For the given masses and distance, the force is about 540 N, just like they say.

I did use ratios and got 60N. What threw me off was their numbers. They make absolutely no sense.Why would they confuse students by just arbitrarily making up numbers when there's a very specific and easy way to get real numbers!?

Feodalherren said:
I did use ratios and got 60N.
Perfectly correct.
What threw me off was their numbers. They make absolutely no sense.Why would they confuse students by just arbitrarily making up numbers when there's a very specific and easy way to get real numbers!?
There's nothing wrong with their numbers. You must have made an error somewhere.

Could you show me how you calculated it, please?

I'm having the same problem with a bunch of questions.

Feodalherren said:
Could you show me how you calculated it, please?
You have the equation, just plug in the numbers. What did you use for G?

G= 6.67 x 10^-11

So what I did was (G(57,000,000)^2) / 20^2

Feodalherren said:
G= 6.67 x 10^-11
Good.
So what I did was (G(57,000,000)^2) / 20^2
Try it again. You can show your steps if you still can't get it to work.

Actually this time it worked... I'm apparently not calculator savvy.

Thank you very much! Greatly appreciate the help!

What is the "Attraction of two spheres in deep space"?

The "Attraction of two spheres in deep space" refers to the force of gravity between two spherical objects in outer space. This force is a fundamental aspect of physics and is responsible for the orbits of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.

How does the force of gravity between two spheres in deep space compare to that on Earth?

The force of gravity between two spheres in deep space is the same as it would be on Earth, given that the masses and distances of the objects are the same. The formula for calculating this force is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What factors affect the attraction between two spheres in deep space?

The main factors that affect the attraction between two spheres in deep space are their masses and the distance between them. The greater the masses of the objects, the stronger the force of gravity will be. Similarly, the closer the objects are to each other, the stronger the force of gravity will be.

Can the attraction between two spheres in deep space ever be completely eliminated?

No, the attraction between two spheres in deep space can never be completely eliminated. According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, all objects with mass exert a gravitational force on each other. As long as the objects have mass and are not infinitely far apart, there will always be a force of attraction between them.

Are there any real-life examples of the "Attraction of two spheres in deep space"?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the "Attraction of two spheres in deep space." For instance, the Earth and the Moon are constantly attracted to each other due to their masses and distance, resulting in the Moon orbiting around the Earth. Similarly, the Sun's gravity keeps all the planets in our solar system in their orbits. This phenomenon is also seen in binary star systems, where two stars orbit around each other due to their mutual gravitational attraction.