Velocity of two spheres under gravitational attraction

In summary, We have two solid copper spheres of different radii released from rest in free space and colliding with each other. To estimate the velocity of collision, we can use the equation for density to find the mass of each sphere and then use the formula for gravitational force to calculate the initial acceleration towards each other. However, since the force changes with distance, we can apply the conservation of energy to equate the loss in potential energy with the gain in kinetic energy. This approach is easier than solving a differential equation.
Jimmy Jazz

Homework Statement

Two solid copper spheres of radii 1 and 2 cm are released from rest in free space, their centers being 20 cm apart. Estimate the velocity with which they collide

Homework Equations

density =mass/volume
F=GMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Find mass of each from density of copper and volume.
With mass and separation I can find force and initial acceleration towards each other.
This force changes with distance, so how would I take account of this in my solution?

Many thanks for any prompts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Jazz said:
This force changes with distance, so how would I take account of this in my solution?
The short answer is to write down and solve a differential equation, but there is an easier way. What conservation law can you apply usefully?

Thanks for responding so I can equate the loss in potential energy with the gain in kinetic energy?
I am just going to look at the formulas for this now

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of two spheres under gravitational attraction?

The formula for calculating the velocity of two spheres under gravitational attraction is given by: v = √(2GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of one of the spheres, and r is the distance between the two spheres.

2. How does the mass of the spheres affect their velocities under gravitational attraction?

The mass of the spheres directly affects their velocities under gravitational attraction. The larger the mass of the spheres, the stronger the gravitational force between them, resulting in a higher velocity.

3. What is the relationship between the distance between the spheres and their velocities under gravitational attraction?

The distance between the spheres and their velocities under gravitational attraction have an inverse relationship. As the distance between the spheres increases, the gravitational force between them decreases, resulting in a lower velocity.

4. Can the velocity of two spheres under gravitational attraction ever be zero?

Yes, the velocity of two spheres under gravitational attraction can be zero. This occurs when the distance between the spheres is infinite, meaning there is no gravitational force acting between them.

5. How does the velocity of two spheres under gravitational attraction change over time?

The velocity of two spheres under gravitational attraction changes over time as the distance between them changes. As the spheres move closer together, the velocity increases due to the increasing strength of the gravitational force. As they move further apart, the velocity decreases as the gravitational force weakens.