Autocorellation of a stochastic process

In summary, the autocorrelation function for a stochastic process is defined by: - the constants ##\overline{X(s)}, \sigma_s, \overline{X(t)}, \sigma_t## - the expectation symbol ##E## - the function ##g(r,s)## having 3 possible values
PHstud
Hello ! I am trying an exercice to get a better grip of what is the autocorellation meaning.
I know the mathematical formula, but let's consider a case.

0f49ac4977.png

If in the case above, the probabilty of the red curve to happen (so w2) is Pr, the blue one Pb and the green on Pg, what would be the result of the autocorellation ?
Would it be something like the sum of the value X(t1,w1)*X(t2,w2)*Pb*Pr + X(t1,w1)*X(t3,w3)*Pb*Pg + ... ?

Thank you for helping me !

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean to say cross-correlation rather than autocorrelation? Autocorrelation only refers to a single time series and the correlation of that time series with a delay of itself. Your equations seem to be for cross-correlations. But even then, a cross-correlation is between two time series, not three.

You need to tell us what math formula you were given, that you say you know.

I do mean autocorellation.
These 3 curves belong to a stochastic signal, and each realisation has a probability to happen and result in one of those trajectories

Since the result is one of those three time series, you have three autocorrelation functions, one for each time series. Each of the three would be the normal autocorrelation. If you want a function that combines all three, you should first carefully define what you want the function to represent. I can't think of anything along the lines of autocorrelation that would apply.

But if we consider each serie individually, don't we lose the 'stochastic' behaviour of the process ?

Only the random selection of which trajectory to follow involves more than one path. That selection should not be involved in an autocorrelation calculation. I would not call the initial selection of the trajectory part of a stochastic process. I would treat it separately as a simple probability because its nature is completely different from the remainder of the problem.

You should define the stochastic process clearly:

##X(t)## is a random variable given by the distribution:

##P(X(t) = f_r(t)) = r##

##P(X(t) = f_g(t)) = g##

##P(X(t) = f_b(t) = b##

Since you imply the trajectory of the process has only 3 possibilities, we can think of realizing it as making one random draw to determine the value of ##X(0)##. If the draw selects ##f_r## then ##X(t) = f_r(t) = f_r(s)## etc. In other words we don't make a random draw at ##X(s)## and make a different random draw at ##X(t)##.
( Saying "the process has only 3 possible trajectories" is different that saying "at each time t, we select the value of the process from one of 3 possible functions". )
The autocorrelation function is defined by

##R(s,t) = \frac { E ( (X(s) - \overline{X(s)} )(X(t) - \overline{X(t)} )}{\sigma_s \sigma_t}##
Start by finding the constants ## \overline{X(s)}, \sigma_s, \overline{X(t)}, \sigma_t ##.
For example, ##\overline{X(s)} = r f_r(s) + g f_g(s) + b f_b(s)##

##\sigma_s = \sqrt{ E(X(s)^2) - \overline{X(s)}^2}##

## = \sqrt{ r f_r(s)^2 + g f_g(s)^2 + b f_b(s)^2 - (\overline{X(s)})^2 } ##
Once you find those constants, the expectation symbol "##E##" implies you compute the expected value of the function ##g(s,t) = \frac { (X(s) - \overline{X(s)} )(X(t) - \overline{X(t)}}{\sigma_s \sigma_t}##
Since we only make one random draw, the function ##g(r,s)## has 3 possible values

##P ( g(s,t) = \frac{( f_r(s) - \overline{X(s)})(f_r(t) - \overline{X(t)})}{ \sigma_s \sigma_t}) = r##
##P ( g(s,t) = \frac{( f_g(s) - \overline{X(s)})(f_g(t) - \overline{X(t)})}{ \sigma_s \sigma_t}) = g##
##P ( g(s,t) = \frac{( f_b(s) - \overline{X(s)})(f_b(t) - \overline{X(t)})}{ \sigma_s \sigma_t}) = b##

Maybe there is some theorem that can be used to avoid all the algebra. (That's not a hint, because, off hand, I don't remember one.)

Likes jim mcnamara and WWGD

1. What is autocorrelation of a stochastic process?

Autocorrelation of a stochastic process is a measure of the linear relationship between a time series and a delayed version of itself. It is used to determine if a process is dependent on its own past values, and if so, to what degree.

2. How is autocorrelation calculated?

Autocorrelation is typically calculated using the autocovariance function, which measures the covariance between a time series and a lagged version of itself. This function is then normalized to produce the autocorrelation coefficient, which ranges from -1 to 1.

3. What does a high autocorrelation coefficient indicate?

A high autocorrelation coefficient (close to 1) indicates a strong positive linear relationship between the time series and its lagged values. This suggests that the process is highly dependent on its own past values and is likely to exhibit a predictable pattern.

4. How does autocorrelation differ from correlation?

Autocorrelation specifically measures the relationship between a time series and a lagged version of itself, while correlation measures the relationship between two different variables. Autocorrelation is also used to analyze time series data, while correlation is used to analyze cross-sectional data.

5. What is the significance of autocorrelation in statistical analysis?

Autocorrelation is important in statistical analysis because it affects the accuracy and reliability of statistical tests and models. If a process exhibits significant autocorrelation, it violates the assumption of independence in many statistical tests and can lead to incorrect conclusions or biased results.