1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automorphism group of field extension

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1
    Take [tex]M = Q(i, \sqrt{2} )[/tex]. Prove that G = Aut(M) is isomorphic to [tex]V_4[/tex]

I have some idea's but I don't know how to justify them:

Consider [tex]K(i)[/tex] with [tex]K = Q(\sqrt{2})[/tex]. The the minimal polynomial of i over K equals to X^2 + 1. I know the fact that if x is a zero of a polynomial P and f is an automorphism, then f(x) is also a zero of P. Also, if f is in Aut(M), then it is a Q-automorphism, so it is the identity on the elements of Q. We can now construct an automorphism by sending i to -i and sqrt(2) to itself. Ofcourse we can also have the identity automorphism. Now by looking at [tex]L(\sqrt{2})[/tex] with [tex]L = Q(i)[/tex], with minimal polynomial X^2 - 2, we find an automorphism by sending i to i and sqrt(2) to - sqrt(2). If we just look at M itself, we find that the minimal polynomial equals (X^2 + 1)(X^2 - 2), and find and automorphism by sending i to -i and sqrt(2) to -sqrt(2).

Now by looking at the compositions of the automorphisms we get the structure of V_4. The only problem I have is to show that we can't have any more automorphims than the ones I found.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just said that if x is a zero of P, and f is an automorphism, then f(x) is a zero of P. x² + 1 only has two roots, so it must either send i to i or -i, and something similar is true for where 21/2 is sent. Now if f is any automorphism, and m is any element of M, then isn't f(m) uniquely determined by where 1, i, and 21/2 are sent? In fact, since 1 is sent to 1, f(m) is uniquely determined by where i and 21/2 are sent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?