1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Galois group over F_7

1. Dec 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Galois group of f(x) = x^7-x^6-2x+2 over ##F_7##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1 is a root of f(x) so dividing f(x) / (x-1) we get the quotient x^6-2. Now all elements of ##F_7## satisfy a^6 = 1 since it's multiplicative group is of order 6, and thus no elements will be a root of x^6-2. Thus I will add an element r such that r^6 = 2 to ##F_7## and now a*(r^6) will be roots for all a in ##F_7## and the splitting field is Q(r).

As far as Gal(Q(r):Q) goes, any automorphism in this group will fix all of Q, and thus the only thing it can move is r and it can only go to another root of it's minimal polynomial (x^6-2), so I believe there is a unique automorphism that will for each element of ##F_7##, where 1(r)=r, 2(r)=2r, 3(r)=3r, etc. Thus the structure of the Galois group will be isomorphic to the multiplicative group of units in ##F_7##.

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If we define ##c := \sqrt[6]{2}## as the real root of ##x^6-2 \in \mathbb{C}[x]##. What are the other roots? Shouldn't ##r## to be chosen a primitive sixth root? And what is the dimension of ##\mathbb{F}_7(r)## over ##\mathbb{F}_7##? Do you have six linear independent roots?

4. Dec 5, 2016 #3
    I was thinking that all the elements in the multiplicative group of ##F_7## are sixth roots of unity, but none of them are roots. Therefore if we adjoin one element r that is a root, then r multiplied by any one of the six elements in the multiplicative group of F_7 will also be a root. The dimension of ##F_7(r) over F_7## will be six because the minimal polynomial of r is x^6-2.

However by my logic I don't know if all the roots (1r) (2r) ..... (6r) will be linearly independent, the reason I am sceptical of this is because not all of them have order 6, for example 2^3 = 1.

if r is a primitive sixth root, and c is as you defined, then are you saying that the splitting field I am looking for is Q(c,r) and that my idea of having r be the sixth real root of 2 in ##F_7## won't provide me with all the roots for some reason?

5. Dec 5, 2016 #4

fresh_42

It is correct what you've said, i.e. ##f(x)=(x-1)(x-r)(x-2r)\cdot \ldots \cdot (x-6r)## and ##|G| = |Gal(\mathbb{F}_7(r);\mathbb{F}_7)| = [\mathbb{F}_7(r) : \mathbb{F}_7]=6## and also that we simply need ##r## to be any solution of ##x^6=2##. (Forget my remark on a primitive root and ##c##.)

Now this means, that ##\{1,r,r^2,\ldots,r^5 \}## is a basis of ##\mathbb{F}_7(r) \supseteq \mathbb{F}_7## and ##G## is most likely the cyclic group ##\mathbb{Z}_6##. Why should ##\{r,2r,\ldots,6r\}## be a basis? The elements are all ##\mathbb{F}_7##-linear dependent: ##ar = (ab^{-1})br = \lambda \cdot (br)## with ##\lambda = (ab^{-1}) \in \mathbb{F}_7##.

The task is to compute all automorphisms ##\varphi : \mathbb{F}_7(r) \longrightarrow \mathbb{F}_7(r)## with ##\varphi (\mathbb{F}_7) = id_{\mathbb{F}_7}##. Or at least one, because we expect one to already generate all six.

Edit: Or is ##|G|=2## and ##\{1,r\}## already a basis? I don't see it yet.

6. Dec 5, 2016 #5
    Hm, so the elements r,2r,3r,4r,5r,1 are not F_7 independent, good call. I do not believe that 1,r would be a basis, there should be 6 basis elements because the minimal polynomial of r is degree 6 so F(r):F is 6 (i´m on a **** keyboard can´t find the brackets n stuff sry). Perhaps you are correct with 1,r,r^2,r^3,r^4,r^5 are a basis. I'll do some calculations and get back to you, but that looks correct.

7. Dec 5, 2016 #6

fresh_42

That's what I think, too. But I haven't seen a fast way to rule out that e.g. ##r^2 = a+br## for some ##a,b \in \mathbb{F}_7## and I'm not so far into field theory, that I automatically can say, why it is impossible. In any case, the elements ##r, \ldots ,r^5## are all in ##\mathbb{F}_7(r)##, so they must have a representation in any basis. There is probably a good argument why they are already linear independent. I simply don't have it in mind. And maybe it's easier to show that ##r \mapsto r^2## or similar is an automorphism which we actually are looking for.

8. Dec 6, 2016 #7
    The minimal polynomial of r in ##F_7## is an irreducible polynomial of degree 6 and therefore {1,r,r^2,r^3,r^4,r^5} is a basis for F(r) over F.

Isn't this a thing that goes without saying almost? Or perhaps this is a thing that goes without saying if the character of the base field is zero.

9. Dec 6, 2016 #8

fresh_42

Well, it isn't "obvious". And I tend to take nothing for granted which I can't remember the theorem of or at least the principle behind it, i.e. an outline of a proof. Here it takes some considerations on the invariants (trace, determinant, degree) of ##f##, but you're right.
    The characteristic isn't the issue here, and ours is ##7##, not ##0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted