Finding a Galois group over F_7

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the student attempted to find a solution to a homework equation that involved a Galois group of order 7. They found that adding an element r to the group satisfies a^6 = 1, and that the splitting field is Q(r). They then found that the elements r,2r,3r,4r,5r,1 are not F_7 independent, and that the basis of this group is composed of r,r^2,r^3,r^4,r^5.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Find the Galois group of f(x) = x^7-x^6-2x+2 over ##F_7##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 is a root of f(x) so dividing f(x) / (x-1) we get the quotient x^6-2. Now all elements of ##F_7## satisfy a^6 = 1 since it's multiplicative group is of order 6, and thus no elements will be a root of x^6-2. Thus I will add an element r such that r^6 = 2 to ##F_7## and now a*(r^6) will be roots for all a in ##F_7## and the splitting field is Q(r).

As far as Gal(Q(r):Q) goes, any automorphism in this group will fix all of Q, and thus the only thing it can move is r and it can only go to another root of it's minimal polynomial (x^6-2), so I believe there is a unique automorphism that will for each element of ##F_7##, where 1(r)=r, 2(r)=2r, 3(r)=3r, etc. Thus the structure of the Galois group will be isomorphic to the multiplicative group of units in ##F_7##.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If we define ##c := \sqrt[6]{2}## as the real root of ##x^6-2 \in \mathbb{C}[x]##. What are the other roots? Shouldn't ##r## to be chosen a primitive sixth root? And what is the dimension of ##\mathbb{F}_7(r)## over ##\mathbb{F}_7##? Do you have six linear independent roots?

Likes PsychonautQQ
I was thinking that all the elements in the multiplicative group of ##F_7## are sixth roots of unity, but none of them are roots. Therefore if we adjoin one element r that is a root, then r multiplied by anyone of the six elements in the multiplicative group of F_7 will also be a root. The dimension of ##F_7(r) over F_7## will be six because the minimal polynomial of r is x^6-2.

However by my logic I don't know if all the roots (1r) (2r) ... (6r) will be linearly independent, the reason I am sceptical of this is because not all of them have order 6, for example 2^3 = 1.

if r is a primitive sixth root, and c is as you defined, then are you saying that the splitting field I am looking for is Q(c,r) and that my idea of having r be the sixth real root of 2 in ##F_7## won't provide me with all the roots for some reason?

It is correct what you've said, i.e. ##f(x)=(x-1)(x-r)(x-2r)\cdot \ldots \cdot (x-6r)## and ##|G| = |Gal(\mathbb{F}_7(r);\mathbb{F}_7)| = [\mathbb{F}_7(r) : \mathbb{F}_7]=6## and also that we simply need ##r## to be any solution of ##x^6=2##. (Forget my remark on a primitive root and ##c##.)

Now this means, that ##\{1,r,r^2,\ldots,r^5 \}## is a basis of ##\mathbb{F}_7(r) \supseteq \mathbb{F}_7## and ##G## is most likely the cyclic group ##\mathbb{Z}_6##. Why should ##\{r,2r,\ldots,6r\}## be a basis? The elements are all ##\mathbb{F}_7##-linear dependent: ##ar = (ab^{-1})br = \lambda \cdot (br)## with ##\lambda = (ab^{-1}) \in \mathbb{F}_7##.

The task is to compute all automorphisms ##\varphi : \mathbb{F}_7(r) \longrightarrow \mathbb{F}_7(r)## with ##\varphi (\mathbb{F}_7) = id_{\mathbb{F}_7}##. Or at least one, because we expect one to already generate all six.

Edit: Or is ##|G|=2## and ##\{1,r\}## already a basis? I don't see it yet.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Hm, so the elements r,2r,3r,4r,5r,1 are not F_7 independent, good call. I do not believe that 1,r would be a basis, there should be 6 basis elements because the minimal polynomial of r is degree 6 so F(r):F is 6 (i´m on a dang keyboard can´t find the brackets n stuff sry). Perhaps you are correct with 1,r,r^2,r^3,r^4,r^5 are a basis. I'll do some calculations and get back to you, but that looks correct.

PsychonautQQ said:
Hm, so the elements r,2r,3r,4r,5r,1 are not F_7 independent, good call. I do not believe that 1,r would be a basis, there should be 6 basis elements because the minimal polynomial of r is degree 6 so F(r):F is 6 (i´m on a **** keyboard can´t find the brackets n stuff sry). Perhaps you are correct with 1,r,r^2,r^3,r^4,r^5 are a basis. I'll do some calculations and get back to you, but that looks correct.
That's what I think, too. But I haven't seen a fast way to rule out that e.g. ##r^2 = a+br## for some ##a,b \in \mathbb{F}_7## and I'm not so far into field theory, that I automatically can say, why it is impossible. In any case, the elements ##r, \ldots ,r^5## are all in ##\mathbb{F}_7(r)##, so they must have a representation in any basis. There is probably a good argument why they are already linear independent. I simply don't have it in mind. And maybe it's easier to show that ##r \mapsto r^2## or similar is an automorphism which we actually are looking for.

The minimal polynomial of r in ##F_7## is an irreducible polynomial of degree 6 and therefore {1,r,r^2,r^3,r^4,r^5} is a basis for F(r) over F.

Isn't this a thing that goes without saying almost? Or perhaps this is a thing that goes without saying if the character of the base field is zero.

PsychonautQQ said:
Isn't this a thing that goes without saying almost? Or perhaps this is a thing that goes without saying if the character of the base field is zero.
Well, it isn't "obvious". And I tend to take nothing for granted which I can't remember the theorem of or at least the principle behind it, i.e. an outline of a proof. Here it takes some considerations on the invariants (trace, determinant, degree) of ##f##, but you're right.
The characteristic isn't the issue here, and ours is ##7##, not ##0##.

1. What is a Galois group over F7?

A Galois group over F7 is a mathematical structure that describes the symmetries of a polynomial equation with coefficients in the finite field F7. It is used to study the roots of polynomial equations and their relationships with field extensions.

2. How is a Galois group over F7 found?

To find a Galois group over F7, one must first factor the polynomial equation into irreducible factors over the field F7. Then, the automorphisms (or symmetries) of these factors are determined, and the Galois group is constructed as the group of all possible combinations of these automorphisms.

3. Why is finding a Galois group over F7 important?

Finding a Galois group over F7 is important because it allows us to understand the structure of the roots of a polynomial equation and to determine whether the equation can be solved using algebraic methods. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and cryptography.

4. What are the possible Galois groups over F7?

There are a finite number of possible Galois groups over F7, which are classified by the Galois correspondence. These include the cyclic groups, dihedral groups, and other more complicated groups. The specific group depends on the structure of the polynomial equation and its irreducible factors.

5. Can a Galois group over F7 be found for any polynomial equation?

No, a Galois group over F7 can only be found for polynomial equations with coefficients in the finite field F7. If the coefficients are in a different field, a different Galois group must be found. Additionally, some equations may not have a solvable Galois group, meaning there is no way to find a closed-form solution for the roots using algebraic methods.