Automotive/Avionic Mechanical Engineering?

In summary, the day-to-day experiences of a mechanical engineer can vary greatly depending on their specific job in the automotive industry. They may work in a lab testing parts, on the factory floor as an industrial or support engineer, drafting requirements, or performing mechanical and thermal simulations. Without specifying a particular job, it is difficult to provide specific insights or suggestions for the field.
mycars12
Hello, I am in college for mechanical engineering right now and was wondering how it is in the future when i get an engineering job, any insights or suggestions for the field?
im wondering how it is on a day to day basis

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be more specific. Mechanical engineers can go into thousands of different jobs and each will have different experiences. What are your interests?

Likes mycars12
my interests are mostly automotive vehicles and i am planning on getting a bachelors in mechanical engineering and was wondering how it was for any engineer, i don't specifically have a certain job that i am going for as of yet because I am only in my sophmore year of college. So cars or vehicles of some sorts or planes are my interest

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Bump?

As was already mentioned, it is very difficult to answer your question due to the wide variety of jobs that are out there in the automotive industry.

From a mechanical engineering prospective, you will have people working in the lab all day testing parts, people working on the factory floor as industrial or support engineers, people drafting and requiring requirements which is paperwork, people working on computers doing mechanical and thermal simulation, etc.

Without really pinpointing a job, it can be hard to explain what can go on day to day due to the fact that it can change by so much. even for me, I do everything from lab testing for 1 week to spending a week on documentation.

1. What is the difference between automotive and avionic mechanical engineering?

Automotive mechanical engineering focuses on designing and maintaining mechanical systems for vehicles, such as cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Avionic mechanical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the mechanical systems used in aviation, including aircraft, spacecraft, and satellites. While both fields involve the study of mechanical systems, avionic engineering also incorporates knowledge of electrical and electronic systems.

2. What skills are required to become an automotive/avionic mechanical engineer?

To become an automotive or avionic mechanical engineer, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. Additionally, skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are crucial in these fields. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and experience with hands-on work, such as building and repairing mechanical systems, is also beneficial.

3. Can you explain the design process in automotive/avionic mechanical engineering?

The design process in automotive/avionic mechanical engineering involves several steps. First, engineers identify the problem or need to be addressed. Then, they research and gather data to understand the requirements and constraints of the project. Next, engineers brainstorm and develop multiple design concepts, which are then evaluated and refined to choose the most suitable one. The chosen design is then modeled using CAD software and tested to ensure its functionality and safety. Finally, the design is implemented and continuously improved upon.

4. What are the current developments and challenges in automotive/avionic mechanical engineering?

Some current developments in automotive mechanical engineering include the integration of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), electric and autonomous vehicles, and lightweight materials for improved fuel efficiency. In avionic mechanical engineering, advancements in aircraft design, such as composite materials and fly-by-wire technology, are being explored. Some challenges in both fields include reducing emissions and improving sustainability, addressing cybersecurity concerns, and keeping up with rapidly evolving technology.

5. What career opportunities are available in the field of automotive/avionic mechanical engineering?

Graduates with a degree in automotive/avionic mechanical engineering can pursue various career paths, such as design engineer, manufacturing engineer, quality control engineer, or project manager in the automotive, aerospace, or defense industries. They can also work in research and development or consulting roles, or pursue further education and become professors or researchers in the field.