1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average acceleration and average force

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Steel ball with a mass 17 grams, is launched at a speed of 6 m/s, into someones eye. The ball comes to a rest over a distance of 1mm.

A) What is the average acceleration experienced by the ball to stop it?

B) What is the deaccelerating force that must be exerted on the ball (by the eyeball), and thus, what is the average force on the eyeball?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the Vf^2 - Vi^2 = 2a*d (where d is displacement, vf is final veloctiy, vi is initial velocity and a is acceleration) but came out with -18m/s^2 for the acceleration. I dont think that is right however

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Check your arithmetic.

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3
    I stuffed up the arithmetic.
    Answer should be -1800. Is that right? Seems big for acceleration.

5. Mar 21, 2013 #4
    Check the numbers, I get an even bigger acceleration. Anyway yes, it is big for an acceleration, but also from 6 m/s (21.6 Km/h) to rest in only 1 mm is really a lot... to stop something that fast in such short distance will require (of course depending on mass) a huge force, at least for usual objects (therefore not too light).

6. Mar 21, 2013 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You're still off by a factor of 10, so recheck that math. Yes, it's big. But 1 mm is a small distance to come to rest in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted