1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average cost of master and PhD programs in the US

1. Apr 29, 2013 #1
    Hi All,

The other day an old high school buddy of mine emailed me asking if I could find out about the general cost of master and PhD programs in math across American schools. I grew up in one of those 'stan countries', but have been living in the US for 7 years now. He's still there and as far as I know holds Master's degree in math and teaches math in one of the state schools.

Now, I have no idea why he would ask me about such matters- it's gonna be a decade in a couple of years since I last stepped foot into a college campus. Besides, it was in a different country with different entrance rules. Guess he just has some language barriers.

That said, how much would a run-of-the-mill, but not too shabby schools in the US charge for above-mentioned programs per semester or yearly? Sorry, for the ridiculously broad question.

Regards,

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2
    This is public information available on the website of every school. You might suggest to him (if he has access to a computer) to look for himself for any school he is interested in attending.

4. May 1, 2013 #3
    This is a particularly bad question because of the different levels of support available in masters and Ph.D. programs. Typically, you have to worry about the cost of a master's degree, because there usually isn't much support available and you probably have to pay the bill yourself. On the other hand, if you are admitted to a Ph.D. program without any support possibilities, you have actually been politely turned down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook