Average Current in Coil Rotated in Magnetic Field

In summary: The coil radius is 2.8 cm, but the wire diameter is 0.9 mm, so the wire radius is half of that. Also, the coil rotated 180 degrees in 0.222 seconds, so the angular velocity was 180 deg/0.222 s = 810 deg/s = 9π rad/s. Therefore, the average emf around the coil was 0.02 V = (9π rad/s)I(2.8 cm), so I = 20 mA.
dvolpe

Homework Statement

A circular conducting coil of radius 2.8 cm is placed in a uniform magnetic field of .900 T with the plane of the coil perpendicular to magnetic field. Coil rotated 180 degrees about the axis in .222 seconds. If the coil is made of copper with a diameter of .900 mm, what is the average current that flows through the coil during the rotation?

Homework Equations

V = IR R = pL/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly figured out the induced voltage of .02 V.
V = IpL/A
p of copper = 1.68e-7
L = 2pi*r A = pi*r squared so L/A = 2pi*r/pi*r sq. = 2/r
.02 V = I (1.68e-7)(2/.45e-3)
I = .00267e4

The answer per the webassign is 4.32 A. HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
dvolpe said:

Homework Statement

A circular conducting coil of radius 2.8 cm is placed in a uniform magnetic field of .900 T with the plane of the coil perpendicular to magnetic field. Coil rotated 180 degrees about the axis in .222 seconds. If the coil is made of copper with a diameter of .900 mm, what is the average current that flows through the coil during the rotation?

Homework Equations

V = IR R = pL/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly figured out the induced voltage of .02 V.
V = IpL/A
p of copper = 1.68e-7
L = 2pi*r  This is the radius of the coil: rc = 2.8 cm .

       A = pi*r squared   This is half the diameter of the copper wire: rw = 0.450 mm .

                   so L/A = 2pi*rc/(pi*rw2) = 2rc /rw2

.02 V = I (1.68e-7)(2/.45e-3)
I = .00267e4

The answer per the webassign is 4.32 A. HELP!
Those r's are not the same, so they don't cancel.

1. What is the average current in a coil rotated in a magnetic field?

The average current in a coil rotated in a magnetic field is the average value of the electrical current produced in the coil as it rotates through the magnetic field. It is measured in amperes (A) and is dependent on factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the speed of rotation.

2. How is the average current in a coil rotated in a magnetic field calculated?

The average current in a coil rotated in a magnetic field can be calculated by dividing the total charge produced in the coil by the time taken for the coil to rotate through the magnetic field. This can also be expressed as the product of the magnetic flux density and the area of the coil divided by the resistance of the coil.

3. What is the relationship between the average current and the strength of the magnetic field?

The average current in a coil rotated in a magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the strength of the magnetic field increases, the average current in the coil will also increase.

4. How does the number of turns in the coil affect the average current?

The number of turns in the coil has a direct effect on the average current produced when the coil is rotated in a magnetic field. As the number of turns increases, the average current also increases due to an increase in the amount of charge produced in the coil.

5. Can the average current be increased by changing the speed of rotation?

Yes, the average current in a coil rotated in a magnetic field can be increased by changing the speed of rotation. This is because a faster rotation will result in a higher frequency of the current produced in the coil, leading to a higher average current value.