1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Average Engineering Phd Stipend?

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    I was wondering if people could give me an idea of what I should expect.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2
    As my engineering professor liked to tell me, they try to bias you at the edge of saturation (CMOS humor).

At Berkeley, for example, you make about $16 an hour if you do research for a professor. You work 50% time during the academic year and if your prof. can afford it you work 100% during the summer.

So, very roughly, you'll get about $20k a year. More than enough to live in Berkeley if you have roommates.

4. Feb 1, 2013 #3
    There is a website called physicsgre that every year people post where they applied to grad school at and what their offers were, where they were accepted/rejected et al.

I noticed that they list the stipend they were offered for various Universities around the country as well as their GPA, papers, and all other qualifications when they applied.

There might be a website like that for Engineers too, but I don't know for certain. I do know that physicsgre.com does cater to engineering as well and there might be a similar post to the physics one there that lists the information for Engineering.

(Forgive me for not being able to immediately find the post, I'm on a smartphone!)

5. Feb 1, 2013 #4
    Yeah, 20000 sounds about right. Carlgrace, did they also pay for his/her tuition or did that person have to pay their own? Quarkcharmer, thanks for the website, I'll have to check it out.

6. Feb 1, 2013 #5
    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/attachments/football/15691d1350272748-soundoff-tonight-10-14-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg[B][/B] [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Feb 1, 2013 #6
    I guess I had one more question. If you get accepted into a program, how long does it usually take to hear if you get funding or not?

8. Feb 2, 2013 #7
    They should send you the offer with the acceptance from what I understand. I do know someone who was accepted but without a stipend, and then they got the stipend a while after. I guess it was a sort of provisional thing.

9. Feb 2, 2013 #8
    Thanks Quarkcharmer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook