1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average of a Velocity Function

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given:

V(n, t, x') = sin [k x' + A (n, t)]

where
    k is a constant
    n stands for the nth realisation
    A is uniformly distributed in [0, 2pi] and
    x' denotes the position vector

How can I show that the mean of V i.e. <V> and the mean of the squares <V^2> are independent of x' and indeed for any <V^n>?

2. Relevant equations

I used <V> = [1/(b-a)] int [a,b] V(n, t, x') dx

where <V> denotes the mean

3. The attempt at a solution

I do not completely understand the question. The average over a complete period or integer multiples of the period is zero for a sine function. The arguments do not affect the average but clearly the interval where you take the average does.

The question implies showing <V>, <V^2> .. <V^n> to be independent for ALL x but being given that A is uniformally distributed in [0, 2pi], does this imply that this is the meant domain of integration for the average?

And how can I generalise for all <V^n>?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Mean as average over what? t or n? In that case, how does A depend on t or n?
    x'? In that case, it is meaningless to ask how that average depends on x'.

4. Jan 8, 2013 #3
    This relates to a fluid flow. I am required to show that it is homogeneous which means that the statistical properties of a property measured at x' do not differ when measured at x'' - all statistical moments should be the same everywhere in physical space.

The average is over x.

5. Jan 8, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Ok, now I am confused. Where is x in your equation?

If you average over all x' in some volume, this average does not depend on V(x') for a specific x' if this V(x') is finite and not correlated to any other value in the volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook