Verify this function is a solution of the heat equation

In summary, the conversation is about the heat equation and the Galilean boosts of a solution to the equation. The participants discuss the terms and derivatives involved in the equation and conclude that the Galilean boosts of the solution is also a solution to the heat equation.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
verify this function is a solution of the heat equation
Relevant Equations
##\partial_t u -\Delta u=0##
I spent hours looking at this and cannot figure out where the error is. I'm wondering if there is an error before the boxed expression.

@Orodruin and @PeroK may I ask for your assistance?Consider a solution ##u:[0,\infty)\times \mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## of the heat equation, ie. ##\partial_t u-\Delta u=0##. For ##\kappa>0## and ##V\in \mathbb{R}^n## we define the Galilean boosts of ##u(t,x)## by $$u_\kappa=exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$
$$\Rightarrow exp(t\kappa^2 |V|^2-\kappa \sum x_iV_i )\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$
To show ##u_\kappa## is again a solution of the heat equation, we operate on ##u_\kappa## with ##\partial_t## using the product and chain rules
$$\partial_t u_\kappa=\partial_t\big[ exp(t\kappa^2 |V|^2-\kappa \sum x_iV_i )\big]\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$
$$+exp(t\kappa^2 |V|^2-\kappa \sum x_iV_i )\cdot \partial_t\big[u(t,x-2t\kappa V)\big]$$
$$=\kappa^2 |V|^2exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$$$+exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot \partial_tu\big[(t,x-2t\kappa V)\big]$$
and operate on ##u_\kappa## with ##\Delta## using the product and chain rules
$$\Delta u_\kappa=\Delta\big[ exp(t\kappa^2 |V|^2-\kappa \sum x_iV_i )\big]\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$$$+exp(t\kappa^2 |V|^2-\kappa \sum x_iV_i )\cdot \Delta \big[u(t,x-2t\kappa V)\big]$$
$$= \kappa^2 |V|^2exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$$$+exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot \Delta\big[ u(t,x-2t\kappa V)\big]$$
and compute
$$\partial_t u_\kappa - \Delta u_\kappa$$
$$\Rightarrow \kappa^2 |V|^2exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$$$-\kappa^2 |V|^2exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$$$+exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot \partial_t\big[ u(t,x-2t\kappa V)\big]$$$$-exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot \Delta \big[u(t,x-2t\kappa V)\big]$$
The first two terms cancel and we have the resulting expression $$\Rightarrow exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\Big[\partial_t \big[u (t,x-2t\kappa V)\big]-\Delta\big[ u(t,x-2t\kappa V)\big]\Big]$$
We conclude ##u_\kappa## satisfies the heat equation if the terms inside the parenthesis vanish to zero.
$$\partial_t[u(t,x-2t\kappa V)]=\partial_tu(t,x-2t\kappa V)\partial_tt+\partial_xu(t,x-2t\kappa V)\partial_t(x-2t\kappa V)$$$$=\partial_tu(t,x-2t\kappa V)\boxed{-2\kappa V\partial_xu(t,x-2t\kappa V)}$$
$$\Rightarrow \text{ the}\quad\partial_x\quad\text{term creates problems}$$
The ##\Delta## term
$$\partial_{x_i}[u(t,x-2t\kappa V)]=\partial_{x_i}u(t,x-2t\kappa V)\partial_{x_i}(x-2t\kappa V)=\partial_{x_i}u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$
$$\partial_{x_i}[\partial_{x_i}u(t,x-2t\kappa V)]=\partial_{x_i}^2u(t,x-2t\kappa V)\partial_{x_i}(x-2t\kappa V)=\partial_{x_i}^2u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$
sum over i
$$\Rightarrow \Delta u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$
if the boxed term vanishes, we could conclude that by the heat equation
$$\partial_t u_\kappa -\Delta u_\kappa = 0$$
the Galilean boosts of ##u_\kappa## is also a solution of the heat equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
docnet said:
and operate on ##u_\kappa## with ##\Delta## using the product and chain rules
$$\Delta u_\kappa=\Delta\big[ exp(t\kappa^2 |V|^2-\kappa \sum x_iV_i )\big]\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$$$+exp(t\kappa^2 |V|^2-\kappa \sum x_iV_i )\cdot \Delta \big[u(t,x-2t\kappa V)\big]$$
$$= \kappa^2 |V|^2exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$$$+exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot \Delta\big[ u(t,x-2t\kappa V)\big]$$
That operator has second derivatives, so you should have cross terms as well.

Likes docnet
thanks @PeroK! for helping me see my mistake. I'm posting a new attempt for completeness.

Consider a solution ##u:[0,\infty)\times \mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## of the heat equation, ie. ##\partial_t u-\Delta u=0##. For ##\kappa>0## and ##V\in \mathbb{R}^n## we define the Galilean boosts of ##u(t,x)## by $$u_\kappa=exp(-<x-t\kappa V,\kappa V>)\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$$$= exp(t\kappa^2 |V|^2-\kappa \sum x_iV_i )\cdot u(t,x-2t\kappa V)$$
Define the previous expression by the following shorthand notation
$$\Rightarrow AB$$
We compute the partial derivatives of ##A## and ##B##
$$\partial_t A=\kappa^2|V|^2A$$
$$\partial_{x_i}A=-\kappa|V|A$$
$$\partial_{x_i}^2A=\kappa^2|V|^2A$$
$$\partial_tB=\partial_tB-2\kappa V\partial_xB$$
$$\partial_{x_i}B=\partial_{x_i}B$$
$$\partial_{x_i}\partial_{x_i}B=\partial_{x_i}^2B$$
To show ##u_\kappa=AB## is again a solution of the heat equation, we operate on ##AB## with ##\partial_t##.
$$\partial_t[AB]= \partial_tA\cdot B+A\partial_tB=\kappa^2|V|^2AB+A(\partial_tB-2\kappa V\partial_xB)$$
and operate on ##AB## with ##\partial_{x_i}##
$$ \partial_{x_i}[AB]=\partial_{x_i}A\cdot B+A\partial_{x_i}B=-\kappa|V|AB+A\partial_{x_i}B$$
and operate on ##\partial_{x_i}[AB]## with ##\partial_{x_i}## $$\partial_{x_i}^2[AB]=-\kappa|V|(\partial_{x_i}A\cdot B+A\partial_{x_i}B)+\partial_{x_i}A\partial_{x_i}B+A\partial_{x_i}^2B$$
$$=-\kappa|V|(-\kappa|V|AB+A\partial_{x_i}B)-\kappa|V|A\partial_{x_i}B+A\partial^2_{x_i}B$$
$$=\kappa^2|V|^2AB-2\kappa|V|A\partial_{x_i}B+A\partial^2_{x_i}B$$
sum over i
$$=\kappa^2|V|^2AB-2\kappa|V|A\cdot \partial_xB+A\Delta B$$
We compute
$$\partial_t[AB]-\Delta[AB]=A(\partial_tB-\Delta B)$$
by the PDE, the terms inside the parenthesis vanish to zero.
$$A\big(\partial_tu(t,x-t\kappa V)-\Delta u(t,x-t\kappa V)\big)=A\cdot 0$$
We conclude that ##AB=u_\kappa## is indeed a solution of the heat equation.

1. What is the heat equation?

The heat equation is a mathematical equation that describes how heat is distributed over time within a given region. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model heat transfer in various systems.

2. How do you verify if a function is a solution of the heat equation?

To verify if a function is a solution of the heat equation, you must plug the function into the equation and check if it satisfies the equation for all values of time and space. This means that the function must equal the sum of its second derivatives with respect to time and space, multiplied by a constant known as the thermal diffusivity.

3. What are the key properties of a solution to the heat equation?

The key properties of a solution to the heat equation include smoothness, conservation of energy, and the ability to predict the temperature distribution over time. A solution must also satisfy the initial and boundary conditions of the system being modeled.

4. Can a function be a solution to the heat equation in more than one dimension?

Yes, a function can be a solution to the heat equation in multiple dimensions. In fact, the heat equation is often used to model heat transfer in three-dimensional systems, such as buildings or industrial processes.

5. How is the heat equation used in real-world applications?

The heat equation has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to model heat transfer in systems such as buildings, electronics, and chemical reactions. It is also used in financial mathematics to model the diffusion of stock prices over time.