1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average salary for a new assistant professor in Mathematics.

1. Jun 29, 2012 #1
    I really like Mathematics and wondering for the salary for a new assistant professor in the subject.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2012 #2

eri

4. Jun 30, 2012 #3
    thanks

5. Jun 30, 2012 #4
    are the numbers per year or per 9 months ?

6. Jun 30, 2012 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

From the note at the bottom of the table:

7. Jun 30, 2012 #6
    Ok thanks

8. Jun 30, 2012 #7

eri

Keep in mind that those professors are typically paid the 9-month salary over 12 months, and most will work over the summer with no additional summer funding - while it's billed as a 9-month salary, that's what they get for the year.

9. Jun 30, 2012 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Where I work, if you teach courses during the summer, you get paid extra for it. But the college doesn't give you extra pay for doing research or course preparation during the summer.

10. Jun 30, 2012 #9
    So I see the system is different according to universities?

11. Jun 30, 2012 #10

eri

If the school offers summer courses (not all do) they'll pay you extra to teach them if you want to.

12. Jun 30, 2012 #11
    I don't remember who said it but "what's the difference between a $7 pizza and a PhD in mathematics? The pizza can feed a family of four."

13. Jul 1, 2012 #12
    You are saying that a Ph.D in Mathematics isn't worth it? Well, it will be when you are tenure. And I can't hide the fact that the money is important to me but even if it didn't make that much , I would still do it because it's my passion to Mathematics that makes me study and not my need for money.

14. Jul 1, 2012 #13

eri

Money should be important to everyone. It's great to love your job, but you still need to pay rent and feed yourself. And in some places, that's expensive. Teaching college is one of the lowest paying positions you can get with a PhD in math. My friends who went into industry with their math PhD are making twice as much as my friends teaching college - but the ones teaching college are doing that because that's what they like to do. They aren't broke, they just aren't rich.

15. Jul 1, 2012 #14
    Well an average of 55000 $ a year for a NEW assistant professor isn't bad at all.
    And of course they make research and not only teach which helps. And when you are tenure, you are in a totally different world, everything can change especially the job security and stability.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook