Average Velocities and Musical Conducting?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the creation of a BPM calculation using virtual conducting and the Kinect's system. The idea is to use hand gestures to calculate the average velocities of the first and last 5 x and y values. However, the issue arises with legato conducting and finding a way to calculate the average velocity for those gestures. The suggestion is to focus on identifying linear strokes with sharp turns.
m00nbeam360
Hi there,

I'm trying to create a BPM (beats per minute) calculation with virtual conducting, having taken coordinates from the Kinect's system. The idea behind it is that the Kinect will record coordinates from the movements of the hand gestures and calculate average velocities of the first 5 and last 5 x and y values. If the average velocities for the y values go from negative to positive, the hand will be going up, etc. I then came up with the idea that if the average velocity from the x-values go from negative to positive, the hand is going to the left. From the average velocities, I would calculate the time between each average velocity calculation and then the average beats per minute rate.

This would be all fine and dandy except that this won't work with legato, or smooth conducting in which conductors perform like this: . Any suggestions on how I could calculate the average velocity of those gestures, or is that impossible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me that x v. y movement is not in itself that meaningful. The first thing is to identify the strokes that are more or less linear in space, punctuated by relatively sharp turns.

1. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. In other words, average velocity measures the overall rate of change over a period of time, while instantaneous velocity measures the rate of change at a specific point.

2. How is average velocity calculated in musical conducting?

Average velocity in musical conducting is calculated by dividing the total distance of the conductor's movements by the duration of the piece. This gives an average measure of the conductor's arm movements throughout the performance.

3. Can average velocity affect the interpretation of a musical piece?

Yes, the average velocity of a conductor's movements can greatly impact the interpretation of a musical piece. A faster average velocity may result in a more energetic and fast-paced performance, while a slower average velocity may lead to a more subdued and relaxed interpretation.

4. Is there a standard average velocity for conducting?

No, there is no standard average velocity for conducting as it can vary greatly depending on the conductor's style, the musical piece, and the desired interpretation. However, most conductors aim for a consistent and fluid average velocity throughout the performance.

5. How does a conductor's average velocity affect the musicians' performance?

A conductor's average velocity can greatly impact the musicians' performance. A clear and consistent average velocity can help musicians stay in sync and follow the conductor's cues more accurately. On the other hand, an erratic or inconsistent average velocity can cause confusion and disrupt the performance.