Deriving an equation for the velocity of a particle

In summary, my teacher writes that the velocity in the x direction at any point in time, and the velocity in the y direction at any point in time. He also writes that the velocity is not constant, but the acceleration is constant for both the x and y directions. He then goes on to say that the average velocity in the x direction is 3 units per second, and the average velocity in the y direction is -2.25 units per second. If velocity were linear, then y=mx+b. However, since velocity is not linear, y is actually a function of x. In order for me to find y at any given x, I would need to solve for mx and b.
LonelyElectron

Homework Statement

Derive an equation for the velocity vx(t), vy(t) of the particle. - my teacher writes this oddly, that means the velocity in the x direction at any point in time, and the velocity in the y direction at any point in time.
Calculate the initial velocity of the particle.
Calculate the velocity of the particle at t=2 and discuss why it is/isnt the same as the average velocity.

Homework Equations

I have to derive one??

The Attempt at a Solution

From previous questions I have the following:
-displacement in the x direction = 9 units
-displacement in the y direction = -6.75 units
-time in the x and y direction = 3 seconds
-average velocity in the x direction = 3 units a second
-average velocity in the y direction = -2.25 units a second
-through first and second differences we know that velocity is not constant, but acceleration is constant for both axis
-acceleration in the x direction = 2 units a second squared
-acceleration in the y direction = -1.5 units a second squared
-because acceleration is constant average acceleration = instantaneous acceleration

If velocity were linear I would use y=mx+b, but as it stands I have no idea where to go... Any help is really appreciated...I have included a picture of my sheet in case I was not clear.

Thanks!

physics page 3.JPG

Attachments

• physics page 3.JPG
    physics page 3.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
I am having a little trouble reading the image you attached. Also, where you write "displacement in the x direction = 9", I do not know whether this is at time t2 or time t1. Likewise for "displacement in the y direction = -6.75", etc.
If you can clean it up a little, I will try to help you.

By the way, the velocity is in fact linear. That is, if you plot velocity versus time, it will be a straight line.

Good luck!

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a particle?

The equation for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction of an object's movement.

How do you derive the equation for velocity?

The equation for velocity can be derived by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time. This will give you the instantaneous rate of change of position, which is velocity.

What are the units for velocity?

The units for velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

Can the equation for velocity be used for all types of motion?

Yes, the equation for velocity can be used for any type of motion as long as the velocity remains constant. If the velocity is changing, a different equation, such as the equation for acceleration, would need to be used.