Average Velocity and resultant velocity

A hiker begins a trip by first walking 25.0 km south east from her base camp in 8 hours. On the second day, she walks 40.0 km 60.0° north of east in 12 hours, at which point she discovers a forest ranger's tower.

Determine the average velocity of the hiker
Determine the resultant velocity of the hiker

I am confused wit the differences between resultant velocity and average velocity

Thank you

Answers and Replies

We speak of the resultant velocity when we have two (or more) motions happening simultaneously, when we know the velocity of one motion with respect to O (whatever this is), and the velocity of the second motion with respect to the first motion; then we can find out the velocity of the second motion with respect to O as its resultant velocity.

In your problem, however, I do not see any simultaneous motions.

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A hiker begins a trip by first walking 25.0 km south east from her base camp in 8 hours. On the second day, she walks 40.0 km 60.0° north of east in 12 hours, at which point she discovers a forest ranger's tower.

Determine the average velocity of the hiker
Determine the resultant velocity of the hiker

I am confused wit the differences between resultant velocity and average velocity

Thank you
resultant velocity here apparently is the vector sum of the velocity vectors, although not simultaneously applied. Average velocity is total displacement over total time.